057 - Karelian Isthmus Conflict - 6

The military prowess and fame of the Task Force 391, which successfully protected all transport and passenger ships belonging to the convoy and led them to Finland by eliminating all unidentified and hostile submarines, resounded throughout the world. On the other hand, for some reason, the Soviet Union's reputation plummeted. As a result, Finland's fighting spirit reached unprecedented heights.

The delivery of weapons, ammunition, and volunteer soldiers, despite Soviet interference, was proof that the world had not abandoned Finland. However, the Finnish government was always cautious in negotiations with the Soviet Union. As a small country, Finland bears a heavy burden in any form of war. Diplomatic negotiations between Finland and the Soviet Union continued.

. . .

Soviet Union

The complete defeat of their submarine fleet dealt a significant blow to Stalin's fighting spirit. It also led the Soviet leadership to feel a grave sense of crisis about engaging in war with Finland under these circumstances. However, having raised their fist, the Soviet Union could not afford to back down without achieving any results, or else it would only damage their own authority for no reason. Therefore, they desired the fruit of a decisive victory to find a way out – to avoid pushing the border line for securing the safety of Leningrad, but instead to aim for a conflict and victory that would not leave a political defeat impression.

The Soviet military leadership decided to carry out this strategy, aiming for a political victory to maintain the country's dignity. The domestic propaganda gradually changed accordingly.

. . .

Finland

The Finnish government, which did not skimp on gathering information on the Soviet Union, understood their intentions without misunderstanding. They were considering a defeat to minimize the damage.

Their plan was to win the border conflict but propose the cession of the islands at the entrance of Leningrad Bay to the Soviet Union during diplomatic negotiations as a deterrent against the recurrence of the conflict, instead of changing the border itself. They aimed to offer the bait of a less damaging outcome and give the Soviet Union materials for political victory and propaganda, leading them to drop their fist. Furthermore, they aimed to conclude a treaty that would prevent such demands related to changes in the border from being raised again.

As a result, the Finnish government gave strict orders to its military not to retreat if combat occurred at the border. They also requested the Japanese government, which had dispatched TF-391, to take action immediately to stop any conflict involving force if a dispute with the Soviet Union broke out.

The Japanese government understood Finland's intentions and promised to take prompt action in the event of an outbreak of conflict.

. . .

Karelian Isthmus Conflict

The firing was confirmed from the Finnish side against an infantry regiment deployed along the Soviet border, prompting the Soviet Army infantry to cross the border to suppress it. This marked the outbreak of the Karelian Isthmus Conflict.

Both Finland and the Soviet Union exercised restraint and avoided escalating the conflict into a large-scale battle or war. As a result, the number of troops involved in this fight did not exceed 10.000, combined for both sides. However, the troops deployed on both sides were the elite of their respective armies, making the fight short but brutal. The Soviet Union advanced with their new IS heavy tanks in the vanguard, while Finland's infantry units fought back with Japanese-made anti-tank equipment. Although disposable anti-tank rockets and anti-tank mines had a significant impact, Finland's troops, lacking sufficient tanks, were unable to resist the Soviet Army's onslaught, resulting in them being pushed back across the border. Therefore, the Finnish military high command requested the deployment of the Siberian Republic Army tank unit, which had modern tanks capable of responding to modern warfare, such as the Type 38 tank.