106 - Yugoslav Conflict - 3

Italian interference in Yugoslavia led to the spreading of the seeds of conflict at a terrifying pace. Originally, the breakdown of Yugoslavia's security apparatus had led to increasing animosity towards outsiders (Germans) who were pouring in daily, as well as growing distrust towards the puppets of outsiders (Serbians). In both urban streets and rural areas, there were frequent skirmishes between resentful Yugoslavians (non-Serb ethnic groups) and Serbians. Although armed Germans, especially those quick to resort to violence, were a minority, they were not hesitant to engage in fights.

In such circumstances, Italy made contact with an anti-German organization among non-Serbian Yugoslavs: the Yugoslav Communist Party.

Despite being a powerful organization within Yugoslavia, it was not the sole authority due to the presence of royalists (exiled government in London) and remnants of the former national army (Yugoslav army). Nevertheless, the reason for the contact was based on information provided by Italian nationals who had become naturalized (uptimers). It was precisely because of future information suggesting the establishment of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.

. . .

Yugoslav Communist Party

The Yugoslav Communist Party, while professing communism, had little proximity to the Soviet Union, which could be considered the epitome of communism. This is not surprising since at present, Germany, which is actively invading Yugoslavia, is an ally of the Soviet Union.

Excluding China, which was at war, the Soviet Union was Germany's largest trading partner, and the Soviet Union has repeatedly made statements openly siding with Germany at League of Nations meetings. They have jointly conducted military weapons development and actively exchanged military personnel. To top it off, they have been ceded territory from neighboring Romania by Germany. There's no way the Soviets could be trusted, despite flying the same communist banner.

Therefore, when Italy, a member of the G4 opposing Germany and the Soviet Union, extended its hand in support, they readily accepted it without hesitation. Because they were overwhelmingly lacking in weapons to carry out resistance (partisan) movements against Germany. Italy promised the Yugoslav Communist Party the provision of weapons, ammunition, and financial assistance. *1

Italy's substantial aid, which could be described as immense, came with the condition of demanding the cession of territories like Fiume (unredeemed Italy) within Yugoslavia as compensation. The Yugoslav Communist Party entered into a secret agreement (based on the assumption of future breach) through deferral of the issue, using the phrase future concession.

. . .

League of Nations

The former king of Yugoslavia, who had taken refuge in Britain, delivered a speech at the League of Nations Assembly, calling for the liberation of his country. He emphasized that Germany's actions in Yugoslavia were clearly acts of aggression, and the international community must not tolerate this. He urged the League of Nations to stand up against Germany with all its might.

However, the response was lukewarm. Even after the speech ended, applause was sparse.

The cold reception, in a sense, was expected. Yugoslavia had withdrawn from the League of Nations and willingly joined the Third Reich as an allied state under German hegemony. Given that Yugoslavia's participation in the League of Nations had failed, it was pointless for them to turn to them, to which they weren't even a member, for help. The League of Nations, fundamentally, was a collective of independent and responsible states aiming for peace and prosperity through actions such as balancing interests among member states. While it was willing to take actions contributing to the peace and stability of its member states, it did not aspire to achieve social or universal justice on a global scale. In a way, it reflected a realism typical of an organization where Japan, inherently opportunistic, held a leading position. Idealism wasn't rejected outright, but the organization couldn't function solely on ideals.