110 - Yugoslav Conflict - 7

The crisis situation that could lead to war in the Adriatic Sea was an unexpected annoyance for Japan. While there was no intention to evade the request from the League of Nations (acting as the world's police) as a permanent member of the Security Council, the truth was that if someone were willing to take over, Japan would gladly yield with all its might. Nevertheless, despite the truth, there was an inherent Japanese disposition to tackle tasks with full effort.

Due to prior information about casualties, the escort ship (FFM) Hibiki equipped a medical unit (mission module) after deploying UAVs from its hangar. Originally, the Hibiki was chosen as an escort for the Suzutsuki, as it was in a state of immediate readiness, and also for its high habitability. Moreover, being a ship with the characteristics of an old (British-style) cruiser, which assumed long-term deployment overseas, the Hibiki's habitability had significantly improved compared to previous escort ships.

Furthermore, the fact that the Hibiki belonged to the Baseline 4 (Expanded Asakaze-class) meant that various design changes had been made to adapt to the changed international environment after the time slip, including the acceptance of increased personnel (such as a dedicated maritime security force). As a precautionary measure, a security squad was also on board the ship to accommodate Italian personnel.

Japan dispatched Suzutsuki and Hibiki after careful consideration and vigilance. Although understanding the potential complications at the destination, the dispatched ships swiftly advanced into the Adriatic Sea out of a sense of Japanese earnestness (faithfulness to the given task).

Upon arrival, an immediate demand was made to Germany for the release of Italian prisoners of war and casualties. However, Germany showed reluctance.

At this point, Japan had also been requested by the League of Nations General Assembly to conduct an investigation into the cause of the incident. Germany requested that the interrogation of prisoners regarding the cause of the incident be conducted on the German ship, the Graf Zeppelin. Although Germany's request contradicted what had been entrusted to the League of Nations, they did have reasons for their actions.

In order to receive medical treatment, the wounded were transferred to the Graf Zeppelin along with other prisoners for treatment. However, it was argued that transferring the wounded further at sea would be a significant burden due to their less-than-optimal condition. Regarding the interrogation, Germany claimed that based on humanitarian grounds, they would exceptionally allow the embarkation of foreign military personnel onto the Graf Zeppelin and fully cooperate with the interrogation.

Italy declared that they would not accept Germany's selfish refusal to hand over the individuals under the guise of humanitarianism and ridiculed it. Furthermore, Japan disregarded Germany's opinion. In fact, the Suzutsuki was equipped with SH-60L multi-purpose patrol helicopters, which could accommodate stretchers and other equipment by unloading equipment during personnel transport missions. Germany's concern about the physical burden on the wounded did not exist.

Germany finally began to understand that their opponent (Japan) was beyond their conventional understanding when faced with the SH-60L landing on the flight deck of the Graf Zeppelin, contrasting it with the first German helicopter, the Fw 61, which was onboard for communication purposes. *1 The SH-60L, with its unparalleled practicality and sophistication compared to the Fw 61, had a significant scientific impact.

The interrogation began. However, there was an issue before that. It was the fact that the situation in the Adriatic Sea far exceeded what Japan had anticipated, laden with severity and tension. While they refrained from pointing their barrels directly at each other (maintaining a minimum level of decorum), the tension, akin to a palpable hostility, was undeniable. Battleships, aircraft carriers, cruisers, destroyers, and even torpedo boats were on the brink of confrontation.