A.D.1939 - 051 - Threat of War

The collapse of the naval holiday caused by Germany's reckless fleet construction plan was, at the same time, an opportunity for Britain and the United States, who were cultivating their national power, to renew their aging main fleets.

In addition, the G4 judged that a war with Germany and the Soviet Union was highly likely in the future, and a joint war plan involving the four countries was formulated. Comprehensive war plans were developed with the three countries currently in opposition to the G4: the case of war against Germany (Case Black), the case of war against the Soviet Union (Case Red), and the case of war against China (Case Yellow). The war plan was eventually named the New Order (Day After).

However, this war plan was essentially defensive. This was because the four countries, which had enjoyed the benefits of peace and economic prosperity since their exchanges with Japan, had little reason to actively initiate a war. As long as access to resource zones and markets was maintained peacefully, a system would be established in which money would continue to be generated. That is why the content of the integrated war plan, the New Order (Day After), was harsh.

There was no need to show any mercy to those who hindered the pursuit of profit.

. . .

Japan

What is required of Japan is the maintenance of military preparations against the Soviet Union in the direction of the Siberian Republic and the preservation of maritime trade routes between the Western Pacific and the Indian Ocean. Therefore, Japan began to support the Siberian Republic with military supplies and to train the Siberian Republic's army. In case of emergency, Japan would be able to build up a military force of 50 divisions and one million troops. If a war with the Soviet Union did not occur, Japan and the Siberian Republic would conclude a treaty based on the premise of dispatching troops to Europe. As compensation, the Siberian Republic obtained a position equivalent to the preferential position that Japan grants to the six nations of the Japanese Federation.

The Siberian Republic became a quasi-member state of the Japanese Federation.

Although the Russians in Siberia had mixed feelings about formally acknowledging the Emperor, they accepted it as a guarantee from Japan to obtain more than an alliance in exchange for its assistance, which was necessary to counter Soviet pressure.

As for naval preparations, since submarines were the main threat, it was planned to establish a maritime escort unit consisting of a 15.000-ton anti-submarine command ship, *1 a 5.000-ton general-purpose escort ship, and a 3.000-ton anti-submarine patrol ship.

Furthermore, preparations were made to secure personnel as part of war preparations. In line with this, the Maritime Self-Defense Force has embarked on the renewal of its old-generation vessels, which require a lot of manpower. In particular, the renewal of the Ame/Nami-class general-purpose DD, which had been left as is until then, became urgent. The update was for a 5.000-ton class general-purpose ship (workhorse) that is compatible with a labor-saving network and is designed for anti-network warfare. The JMSDF will undertake a large-scale restructuring of its units to adapt to this situation. The goal was to organize 16 task forces ("units") in total, consisting of 2 aviation units, 12 maritime escort units, and 2 amphibious warfare units.

With regard to the aviation unit, it was organized in anticipation of a threat in the form of an attack by the US Navy's aviation fleet during the Marianas campaign. It required sufficient air defense capability to handle a wave of 300 aircraft, *2 taking into account the technological gap. This necessitated the provision of an aircraft carrier, air defense, and anti-submarine escort ships, as well as submarines capable of providing air defense aircraft, *3 enough to accommodate 100 air defense aircraft. As a result, one aviation unit was composed of one Shōkaku-class aircraft destroyer, two 30.000-ton-class aircraft destroyers, four air defense escort ships, six general-purpose destroyers, and three submarines. This alone would require a significant increase in personnel for the JMSDF, so as an emergency measure, they decided to open up positions not only to the Japanese but also to citizens of the Japanese Federation.