078 - Dawn of the Jet Era - 2

The first-generation jet fighters emerged among the powers. The impact would have a major effect on other nations as well.

. . .

China

The United States brought their newly deployed cutting-edge fighter jet, the F-1, to the Frontier Republic, which is the first aircraft since the founding of the USAF and the first aircraft after a change in naming conventions. The F-1, nicknamed the "Sabre," which is the sword that protects America, was widely showcased in the Frontier Republic, causing a significant impact on the Chinese people. *1 With a completely different design from conventional aircraft and the agility and speed demonstrated during the exhibition flights, it rendered traditional piston-engine fighters obsolete. Furthermore, the F-1 was frequently flown near China's airspace and borders, under the pretext of escorting the League of Nations surveillance planes to demonstrate its capabilities.

Of course, China attempted interception to protect its dignity, but the Chinese-made propeller-driven fighter with 1.000 horsepower, produced under license from Germany, was incapable of hindering the Sabre, which could effortlessly fly above 10.000 meters. Even when there were aircraft flying at low altitudes, they couldn't do anything due to the speed difference. This left the Chinese people devastated.

This was because the aircraft used during this time was the FC-1 fighter, the latest aircraft produced in China. Based on the licensed production rights obtained from Germany, China replaced the original engine with a new cutting-edge German-made 1.000 horsepower liquid-cooled engine and began production in the late 1940s. However, their hopes were dashed. The generational gap brutally confronted China with reality.

Nevertheless, it was not easy to accept the reality that a newly produced cutting-edge aircraft, which had just been mass-produced with considerable effort and money, was immediately rendered useless. As a result, various tactics were devised and executed in an attempt to intercept. However, all of them ended in failure. Ultimately, when the number of failures reached double digits, China recognized the reality that piston-engine fighters were no match for jet fighters. At the same time, they hurriedly turned to Germany for help, asking them to sell them jet fighters, the ones that Germany advertised as world-leading.

However, Germany, even though they were begged, had nothing easily sellable. Whether it was the recently operational Me 262 fighter or a new aircraft under development, both were products of joint development between Germany and the Soviet Union, with the rights being equally shared between the two countries. Meanwhile, the Soviet Union, having given up on the current Chinese government, refused to sell them, citing the risk of technology leakage. As a result, Germany could no longer sell jet fighters to China.

But China didn't give up.

If they couldn't buy jet fighters that were being jointly developed by two countries or those under development, they decided they would create their own in Germany's aviation factories. China's diplomatic representatives fervently persuaded the German government and the German Ministry of Aviation, and eventually, they were granted permission to develop jet fighters for China. The manufacturer chosen was the company that had developed the prototype of the FC-1 fighter provided to China.

The development project was named the Widerstandsjäger ("Resistance Fighter"), with the hope of creating a fighter to counter the invasion from imperialist nations. The requirements were that it had to be a jet fighter, capable of being put into practical use as soon as possible, as inexpensive as possible, and with a simple design that could be manufactured in China except for the engine.

The manufacturer responded to these harsh demands with all their might. It was decided that, except for the engine, everything would be manufactured under license in China, using Chinese funds. However, the rights to the aircraft were held by the German manufacturer, so if it was adopted by Germany or other countries, it would be a direct profit for them. The manufacturer was very serious about it.