100 - China Upheaval - 18

The Japanese Combined Armed Forces consist of the Japan Self-Defense Forces as the core, along with the military forces of seven participating federal states, overseen and managed by the Japanese Federation's Ministry of Defense.

However, it is not the case that each federal state can be involved in its respective military forces solely by providing budget and personnel. On the contrary, whether the units are contributed to the Japanese Combined Armed Forces or not, each federal state's military will strongly adhere to the intentions of the respective federal government to which they belong. This is stipulated in the amended Constitution of the Japanese Federation.

Japan strictly operates under the rule of law, perhaps seen as bureaucratic thinking. The law is the source of its own power. It cannot allow frivolous actions such as neglecting the authority of the law with a mere mention of a state of emergency, such as extraordinary measures.

Regarding the war between the United States and China, the Japanese government, constrained by its constitution, had informed the G4 liaison committee that despite receiving a request for participation from the United States, the deployment of the Japanese Combined Armed Forces would be impossible. However, simultaneously, it can be noted as an example that the Siberian Republic did not prevent itself from joining the war based on the security treaty with the Frontier Republic. The Japanese Federation, deviating from the Japanese government's policy, finds itself fully immersed in the quagmire of the war between the United States and China.

. . .

Republic of Guam: 501st Mechanized Division

The 501st Mechanized Division, which swiftly crossed over to the Eurasian Continent with the transport fleet (Maru Fleet) overseen by SMS Corporation, proceeded with combat preparations within the territory of the Frontier Republic. The reason for this was primarily due to strong insistence from the United States to prioritize the movement. Furthermore, amidst an already chaotic situation, the emergency deployment of the 501st Reconnaissance Battalion to western South Mongolia was ordered for political reasons. It was somewhat natural that the overall war preparations of the 501st Mechanized Division became chaotic.

Although originally the 501st Mechanized Division, formed from the precursor to the 3rd Marine Division, which would be dispatched worldwide as a spearhead of American power in emergencies, had nearly 20 years passed since then, and particularly since the troops had been completely replaced, their readiness had significantly declined. Since they had not been deployed to the Siberian War of Independence nor involved in other minor conflicts, it was somewhat expected. The reason why the 501st Mechanized Division, which had the most combat experience in the Japanese Combined Armed Forces, was not ordered to mobilize was due to delicate, somewhat political issues between Japan and the USFJ.

Since the time slip, the USFJ, acting as a bond between Japan and the United States and simultaneously providing military support to Japan, had been limited to the air and naval forces. The ground forces had been designated as reserves for the JSDF and later for the Japanese Combined Armed Forces, and had always been conserved. The reason was that engaging in combat would inevitably deplete resources, making it difficult to replenish troops. The total population of the Republic of Guam, including USFJ personnel and American immigrants residing in Japan, was less than 300.000, which left no choice.

Given the proportion of military personnel in the labor force, there were situations where maintaining a force of nearly 50.000 in total strength was criticized. *1 At the same time, consideration based on friendly relations with the USFJ by the JSDF also played a role. Since the Japan-US Security Treaty, the Republic of Guam's military has been considered exceptional within the Japanese Combined Armed Forces. *2