087 - China Upheaval - 6

The Chinese Communist Party, which had been plotting a full-scale conflict with the Frontier Republic of America, found it difficult to send a coordinated sabotage team to the local area as long as the Chinese government's territory was surrounded by 900.000 government troops. In the first place, both the Frontier Republic and the United States had declared strong support for the South Mongolian independence movement but had not deployed military forces within Chinese territory. This made it challenging to provoke a clash between the Chinese government army and the American army.

The CCP was troubled by this situation.

Ultimately, they decided to deploy their crown jewel, a twin-engine propeller-driven bomber provided by the Soviet Union. It was the only one sent in parts, along with three other biplane fighters. The bomber, named the Hongtian ("Red Sky"), had been secured by high-ranking CCP officials as their emergency escape vehicle.

They made the decision to deploy it, targeting the stronghold of the South Mongolian independence movement. Due to the challenging range to infiltrate from the CCP's territory, it only carries a little number of bombs. Instead, they loaded paper bomb messages demanding the surrender of the Chinese ethnic groups. To disguise themselves as Chinese government aircraft, they changed the paint and nationality markings on the aircraft, which would carry the hopes of the CCP.

. . .

Airstrike

The daylight bombing of the South Mongolian independence movement's base, carried out boldly at low altitude, was successful, even though it exposed the aircraft to the eyes and ears of many people. It was to be expected. The South Mongolian independence movement had no fighter aircraft, let alone anti-aircraft defenses – there was no reason for it to fail. They scattered leaflets throughout the base and directly hit a particularly large building in the town within the base with a bomb. From a purely military standpoint, it was a great success.

The problem was that the large building was neither a facility used by the South Mongolian independence movement nor any kind of military facility. It was a hospital. Women, children, the elderly – both the young and old, those injured, and those with illnesses – a significant number of people were injured and killed.

The media from around the world, who had gathered to witness this horrific scene, would transmit it to their respective countries. Voices condemning China's atrocities filled the world. The Japanese-made cameras and film *1 that many media personnel had captured vividly the nationality markings on the body of the Chinese government aircraft used for the bombing.

The government of the Frontier Republic immediately declared humanitarian assistance. The United States and Japan also declared humanitarian responses. At the League of Nations assembly, the bombing of a hospital without any warning was deemed a significant issue. During the discussions at the assembly, the concept of ethnic self-defense rights was proposed, and China's actions were criticized based on this new concept. With the atmosphere at the League of Nations assembly being so critical of China, even the Soviet Union (anti-G4 ideology) couldn't repeat its previous claims, such as "China, a victim of American imperialism." International public opinion became overwhelmingly critical of China.

In contrast, Chinese public opinion rallied in support of the government. The Chinese populace had grown dissatisfied with the government's perceived weakness in the face of foreign powers that encroached on their land. In response, the Chinese government had shown an absolute resolve by conducting aerial bombings against the rebels who deviated from the path of separation and independence from China. There was no reason not to support this. And so, the Chinese government found itself in great turmoil.