116 - China Upheaval - 26

The leadership of the Chinese Communist Party disappeared overnight, and the collapse of its military was a shock to the Chinese government. It wasn't that the military vanished and the leadership collapsed; rather, the leadership disappeared first (due to a decapitation operation). The Chinese government was terrified, not only because of the disappearance of the Communist leadership but also because of the downtime Japanese officer corps that had once mysteriously disappeared, a fact they had hoped to forget.

Upon learning the details of the disappearance of the Communist leadership, they hastily strengthened the air defense network around Nanjing. In particular, the FJ-2 jet fighter units were ordered to gather around the outskirts of Nanjing. This was not only to protect Chiang Kai-shek's own interests but also in response to demands from the Chinese economic sector.

The Chinese economy had been in turmoil since the beginning of the winter ceasefire period. Back then, they had pacified people by saying it was for the war and a trial for the nation, assuring them that if they could deliver a blow to the United States at the end of the winter ceasefire period, the bombings would stop. But as it turned out, they had essentially lost control north of the Yellow River. The bombings by the US showed no sign of stopping, and there seemed to be no end to the war in sight. If that was the case, the government had no choice but to cooperate with the economic sector to stabilize the economy, ensuring the production of military supplies! And so insisted the Chinese business community.

Originally, the FJ-2s, which had never been deployed due to the need to maintain forces for the final battle, were now gathered around Nanjing, becoming a rare sight for the Chinese people to behold. The sight of the resistance fighters resting their wings in their heavily concealed bunkers caused the crews to experience indescribable emotions (a sense of impending defeat).

However, the forces weren't just gathered around Nanjing. They also formed the 1st Integrated Shandong Army Group by gathering armored units that had been retreating and units from the Yangtze General Army that had been training in the vicinity, moving to halt the southward advance of the East Eurasian Army Group's 1st Army. With the Shandong Peninsula (leased by Germany), which manufactures cutting-edge equipment like tanks, under siege and isolated, there was a risk that the Chinese military would regress to the Stone Age sooner than later. Whether it was the Panzer III or the FJ-2 fighter, while they were inferior compared to the US's latest equipment, they could still put up a resistance.

Moreover, production of 150 mm howitzers had begun since last year. If these were lost, resistance would become impossible. The isolation of the Shandong Peninsula was a matter of utmost importance that had to be stopped at all costs. For this reason, a battle known as the Battle of Taishan would occur, more intense than the siege of Beijing, symbolizing the year 1943, and serving as the final battleground before the decisive battle.

. . .

Battle of Taishan, Stage 0

The 1st Integrated Shandong Army Group, using the Yellow River as a reference point, diligently worked on constructing its first line of defense. Their plan was to set up positions on the river embankments and inflict heavy blows upon the East Eurasian Army Group's 1st Army, which would likely attempt to cross the river. In other words, they were abandoning all lands north of the Yellow River where the 1st Army had not yet advanced. Major cities like Tianjin and vast areas of land stretching nearly 200 kilometers were all slated for abandonment.

Under normal circumstances, they should have engaged in delaying actions, but given the lack of cover in the flat plains, the absence of air superiority, and the questionable readiness of the 1st Integrated Shandong Army Group, it was not feasible to conduct operational actions. Hence the creation of the Yellow River Defense Line. *1