Chapter Nine - Part Two

Hey so I was going to upload chapter ten but when I was proof reading it I realized that there was a plot point I'd kind of missed out so I wanted to quickly add a second part to chapter nine to clear things up before I upload the next one. So I know it's short but I think that for a filler chapter it's pretty fun and gives us a bigger insight into the relationships of the characters! :) Anyway, enjoy..

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

I was queuing up for lunch when I heard a voice behind me.

"Jess, you look like such a loner."

"Shut up Danny," I joked. "Rachel's at some Geography club. And anyway, you're alone too!"

"No, I'm with you." He smirked.

"You're so weird you know that?" I asked him.

"It's been mentioned."

"I can imagine. What are you doing anyway, you can't just push into the queue - the people behind us will get pissed off."

"Nah, it's cool. They're too scared of me to say anything." While he meant it as a joke, there was definitely a certain truth in this statement. Although, he was far from awful, everyone at this school was so straight-laced that Danny had gained a bit of a bad reputation. "So can I eat lunch with you then?"

"Sure, I don't see why not."

After getting our lunch we sat down opposite each other on a bench. Danny had fish and chips while I just went for a salad.

"Hey, Danny, can I have a chip?" I asked as sweetly as I could.

"No way, you shouldn't have gone for the salad if you wanted chips." He said, moving his plate slowly away from me.

"Yeah but I only want one, if I'd gotten a whole plate then it would have been a waste."

"Man girls are weird," Danny mused while passing me a chip. "So what have you been up to today Jessica?"

"Well, I had my religious meeting this morning."

"Oh cool, how'd it go?"

"Oh it was really good actually, Matthew and I talk-"

"Matthew?" Danny interrupted.

"Yeah, you know the head boy."

"I know who he is Jessica." Danny said all 'matter-of-factly'.

"Oh, then why did you sound so shocked?"

"I'm just amazed he has time to help anyone, I assumed he'd spend all his time walking around like he owned the place."

"What?!" I screeched. "Do you not like him or something?"

"I think the word you looking for Jess, is hate. I hate him." Danny sounded so casual as he continued to eat.

"How can you hate him? He's the nicest person I've ever met."

"Well, I just find him annoying. He thinks he's better than everyone just because he's head boy and he doesn't like me so why should I make an effort with him?"

"Firstly, he doesn't think that he's better than everyone else, he's actually very humble and secondly what makes you think he doesn't like you?"

"I just get that vibe. He thinks that I'm some idiot who doesn't care about anything."

"I'm sure he doesn't think that Danny, you'd get on really well I'm sure." I tried to clear Matthew's name.

"No Jess, we don't get on. Simple as." Looks like there was no convincing him and I really didn't want to get into a fight with Danny so I worked on changing the subject.

"The funniest thing happened yesterday Danny. Me and Rachel-"

"Sorry Jess, got to run." Danny called as he went to put his plate away and ran out of the cafeteria all in a hurry; looks like this was a touchy subject for him.

Damn. I love Matthew and Danny and I can't have them fighting. I mean, who would think that they wouldn't get on?! I can't even understand it. Even if I understand religion a little bit better after today, I don't think I'll ever understand boys.

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / /

So there you go. Thoughts? I feel like this helps you guys to understand the workings of the school and the relationships between characters a bit more as well as setting up a crucial plot point for later.

By the way, thanks for the amazing responses to my most recent chapter. Also, I'm starting to run a competition after each upload so go to my profile page and check my status to enter and get a fun prize the next time I upload!! See you next week guys!! ~LunaCresta