'What did you expect, you melon?' - Chapter Thirty One

There was a guest room down the hall from our common room where guests stayed. Since we were all boarding it was not uncommon for people to have visitors want to come stay with them for a while. It was one of many empty rooms, the most of which will be filled next term. For Year twelve students, they like you to share with a roommate for the first term and then you get your own room in the second. The idea behind this is basically so that we have a chance to form special bonds straight away, which is a brilliant idea. I honestly don't know what I would have done for the first term if I hadn't been sharing a room with Rachel. It would be sad to live apart from her, but having formed a bond so close, so quickly, I had no doubt that our friendship wouldn't suffer.

After showing Amy and Zac to the room they were staying in I let them get settled in and unpacked whilst I returned to my room. I had barely closed the door when I got a text from Danny.

Hey babe, are they here yet? When are we going down to dinner? Xx

I replied quickly, not wanting Danny to get even more nervous about telling Amy than he already was. I think he was more nervous for me than for himself, he really didn't want me to lose my best friend over him. I knew that he would feel absolutely awful if that happened.

They're just settling in now. I'll text you when we're coming down to dinner. You're with Rachel and Jack right? Make sure you all come down together when I text you so we can just get this thing over with. The longer we have to wait to tell her the more shocked she's going to be. Xxx

I had decided that it would look less weird if Danny came with Rachel and Jack because then it wouldn't look that weird that he was eating with us. We would be able to play it off as him just tagging along with my roommate's boyfriend. I was fully aware that we'd probably overthought about this but if that's what it took for Amy not to freak out over me and Danny then that's what was needed.

My phone buzzed, Danny again.

Yeah I'm with them. Don't stress Jessie, it's going to be fine! And even if it's not, at least you'll be able to come over and make out with me all night - it's a win-win! ;) xx

I laughed audibly, what a douche. But he was right in some sense, it most likely would be fine – surely I was over stressing about it all.

I finished off some reading that I had for English before there was a knock at the door. 'Hey Jess it's us, are you ready to take us to dinner?' Amy asked through the wood.

'Yeah just coming!' I called, grabbing my phone and texting Danny quickly before joining them in the hallway.

We were in the queue for our food when Rachel tapped on my shoulder. 'Jess hi, fancy seeing you here,' she said, clearly not putting her a-level drama skills to good use. 'We were just getting some dinner, we should eat together.'

'Hiya,' I replied, before turning to Amy and Zac. 'This is Rachel. Rachel this is Amy and her boyfriend Zac.'

'Hey great to meet you,' Amy said. 'I've heard so much about you! Who did you say you were with?'

'Just my boyfriend and his roommate, they're getting drinks. They'll come and sit with us in a minute.'

'Oh Danny's with you?' I tried to sound surprised. 'That's so funny, did I tell you that he and Amy used to go out?'

'Erm you may have mentioned it yeah.' Rachel said.

'Danny?' Amy looked shocked, 'it will be nice to see him again I haven't seen him in ages.'