'Just call me the matchmaker' - Chapter Fourteen

When I reached drama Rachel ran over to me, as if she knew I had an exciting story to tell her.

"You will not believe what just happened!" we both said in unison.

"You first" she laughed.

"Okay," I giggled "so I was just coming out of maths and Felicity cornered me and started saying all of this stuff about how I stole Danny or something, but I don't even know why she'd think that and even if she did I knew Danny first anyway and at least I'm like the right age, right? And so then we had a little shouting match and I was just in total shock and so I called her a bitch and well yeah." I breathed slowly; I didn't know it was possible to divulge that much information in such a short space of time.

"A bitch? OMG Jess, what did she say?"

"Nothing, she just ran away to talk to Anya."

"Jess you are in deep shi-"

"Right girls," Miss Bond interrupted. "I want you to get into your pairs and continue with the duologues you started last lesson. If you haven't quite got the full ten minutes yet then just go from where you got up to and improvise the rest - some of our best acting decisions come from early improvisation work. Off you go then girls."

Rachel and I turned to each other - eager to get this piece of drama running smoothly - it was contributing to our final AS exam and was of the upmost importance.

Our piece is on two best friends discussing the well being of Rachel's character and climaxing in the reveal of her substance abuse. It was a very moving and emotional piece but since the theme of the course is 'abuse' I don't think anyone's expecting a cheery musical comedy.

After improvising to the end, as requested, we carried on with our earlier discussion. "So Rach what is it that you wanted to tell me?" I said, while sitting down on a nearby chair.

"Well," she gave out a little squeal, "I was in geography and-"

"Crap I forgot to do my physics homework." I interrupted.

"Jess, I'm telling a story!" She exclaimed.

"Sorry, carry on." I said, smiling.

"Okay so Jack turns around to me and then he-"

"Maybe if I can get Miss Bond to write me a note and tell him that I was too busy with drama to worry about physics." I interrupted, receiving glares from Rachel as I did so. "Sorry," I added. "So you're in geography."

"Yeah, talking to Jack and then." She paused for a brief moment, thinking how to turn her thoughts into words before shouting "Jack asked me out!"

"Oh my gosh Rach, that's amazing. What did you say?"

"Yes, obviously," she smirked.

"See, I knew you liked him - just call me the matchmaker." I joked. Rachel smiled, although I could see something more behind her front. "Rach, what's wrong?"

"I really like him Jess." She sounded almost guilty as she spoke. "I really, really like him."

"So?" I was confused; how was that a bad thing?

"I've never liked someone this much before. I don't want him to break my heart."

"Oh Rach," I breathed as I bought her in a warm embrace. "Jack's a really decent guy, I wouldn't worry at all."

"No?"

"No. I've got a really good feeling about you two." I smiled at her warmly.

"I think I do too." She murmured.

I grinned at her. "So, are you going to meet up in half term then?"

"I guess," She said. "He only lives a few hours away - I think we can make it work."

"Fingers crossed!"

"What about you Jess, what are you doing over the holidays?"

"I'm staying with Amy the whole time."

"Amy?" Rachel looked confused. "How come?"

"My parents are going to be in the states, so she's letting me stay with her."

"Oh yes, I remember now. That will be nice."

"Yeah it will." I mused, but I don't think I was convincing anyone.

"What?" Rachel asked. "Are you not looking forward to it?"

"No I am," I answered. "It's just I haven't seen her in so long and with me being at school with Danny and everything, I don't want it to be awkward."

"Why would you being at school with Danny make it awkward?" She questioned.

"No reason," I lied. "They just didn't end on the best terms, that's all."

"You're going to be spending the week with your best friend Jess, it will be fine." She reassured me. "Speaking of Danny, are you going to meet up with him at all?"

"Actually, we were just talking about it. I think we will, yeah."

"Going to do anything," she paused with a glint in her eye. "special?"

"He wishes," I laughed. "Rach, how many times have I told you that we're just friends?"

"A few," she admitted as I giggled next to her. "You two are just so similar; I can't help but notice the chemistry between you."

"I think you're going to have to try - there's nothing there. I think we just get on because we have so much history."

"History!?" Rachel's ears perked up.

"Gross, not that kind of history! I just mean 'cause we know each other from home." I was struggling to articulate my thoughts properly. "Just no." I said simply.

"But don-" She started.

"Just no." Our conversation seemed to grind to an abrupt end as I interrupted. "Shall we run it again?" I asked, while standing up.

"What?" Rachel stood up to join me.

"Our duologue, from the top?"

"Yeah, sure." Rachel knew that something was wrong.

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

So, there seems to be something that Jess isn't telling Rachel about her past - any ideas??

I know there's a lot of information and development in this chapter but I really like it and there's a lot of foreshadowing of things to come if you look hard enough!

Also, I know I haven't uploaded in a while but I've had my GCSEs and it's been hard to find time to write. And, as told in the previous few chapters, I've written five new chapters to be uploaded everyday this week in a hope to make a dent on the 'what's hot' list. So PLEASE help me by voting, commenting, fanning and telling your friends about the story.

As usual, any comments, complaints or requests can be sent to my e-mail LunaCrestaWriter@gmail.com and I'll see you next week! :)

~LunaCresta

PS At the side we have Felicity - I know she's beautiful but try to imagine the evil behind those eyes - haha :D