'Even better than my stunningly good looks?' - Chapter Sixteen

Before I knew it, it was half term and everyone was getting ready to leave. People would be getting picked up at various times during the day so there weren't any lessons - just madness everywhere.

The first forms ran about the school manically as they anticipated seeing their parents for the first time in a month and a half. For all the new students who weren't used to boarding school, myself included, the thought of leaving couldn't have come sooner. Don't get me wrong, most of the time St Pauls was actually kind of fun. The fact that I got to spend all day with Rachel and there was such a community here was great, it was like our own little world.

However, after half a term with the same people, a change of scene was probably best. After all, interaction with the outside world is necessary if you want to be a fully functioning human being! But there was another reason I was eager to get to Amy's house.

Danny.

I hadn't spoken to him since our fight and it was really distressing me. Because of our history, we really hit it off when I came to the school but this Felicity thing is non-negotiable. I don't think I would care so much if it wasn't her. Or him. Something about Danny just makes me care so much more. It's like when I'm around him my emotions are turned to their full capacity.

We've had two maths lessons since our fight. The first was too awkward to bear. Mr Wilding must have known something was up when he managed to get through his whole explanation without being interrupted by our usual chitchat. Neither of us spoke as we worked through our simultaneous equations. It was disheartening when I couldn't understand to be unable to ask Danny for his help - he was so much better than me at maths.

To be honest, I'm not sure why he didn't try and talk to me. I'm not saying that I wanted him too - I'm too angry with him. But he doesn't have any reason to be in a hump with me. Usually Danny gets over these things really quickly. I can't say I wasn't surprised when he turned around to ask Joe for a pen when my bountiful pencil case was sitting right in front of him.

The second lesson was worse - Danny didn't even show up. Skipping class isn't anything new for Danny but since we've been at St Peter's he's been getting a lot better with punctuality and attendance. It was then that I realised how much our fight affected him. I mean, guys just don't get like that over things. I guess he really is a good friend.

Since, coming to St Peter's this is the longest time I haven't spoken to Danny; it's weird. I haven't even bumped into him in the corridor. I've been staying in my room for the majority of the time since our fight and I guess he's been doing the same. It's not like I'm in mourning of our friendship or anything but if I'm not talking to Danny then Rachel's really one of my only friends here and so it doesn't make much sense to venture out of the room for no reason.

I was in the room now, packing to go to Amy's. Not many other people had to pack as they would be going home and could leave most of their stuff at school for after the holidays. Admittedly I knew that some of the boys had a lot of washing to bring home but I don't think that they were thinking it through as much as I was. This left me being alone in my room all morning - I don't even know where Rachel was. It was a tricky process trying to pick out what to bring to Amy's. I didn't want to take too much as I'd need to carry my own case but at the same time I wanted to make sure I had a lot of choice of what to wear. I was feeling more and more excited to see Amy as the time went by. Of course my anxieties were still there but I was just pleased to be able to see my best friend again.

After I finished packing I decided to start to say my goodbyes, eager to make my strict train time. Matthew seemed like a good place to say goodbye to first as I was pretty sure he'd be in the church. I'd had one more meeting with Matthew but it was rather brief. He asked me about what I was doing over half term and then we prayed for my mum's treatment to work. That was really nice of him, he probably has his own favours to ask God and yet he was putting them on hold in order to try and help someone he's never met.