'I love majorities' - Chapter Fifteen

"Do we have to go?" I asked, pleading with Rachel.

"I don't want to either Jess, but yes we do." She was right, of course, but I was still in denial.

"No," I moaned, elongating the syllable to within an inch of its life, "It's going to be so awkward."

"Jess?" Rachel begged, her eyes narrowing. "Come on, we don't want to be late."

"Fine," I groaned. As we both made our way to the meeting. This is the second meeting for the winter fair and the last one before half term and we were both dreading it.

The impending awkwardness after the trauma of the last meeting was too much to handle. We'd been discussing it a bit and I don't think anyone was looking forward to the reunion with joy. However, it was the first time I'd get to see Rachel and Jack together since they started going out so there's definitely some motivation there!

When we got into the room everyone else was already there; whoops.

"Sorry we're late everyone." Rachel apologised.

Felicity was first to answer - "That's fine Ray, we're all friends here," Wait what? That's not right, Felicity isn't nice.

"No we're not," I blurted - before I could retain myself.

"What? Why would you possible think that?" She sounded genuinely shocked; what the hell? "Well I always thought we were." She said, her sickly sweet tone making me want to vomit all over her perfect ponytail. And then I saw it. A smile flashed at Danny - a smile that I knew all too well. So this was her game, pretend to be nice in a bid to win Danny over - disgust doesn't even cover what I feel towards her right now.

"Let's just start." I said through gritted teeth as I took a seat between Matthew and Rachel.

"Great," Felicity responded. "I wanted to start by apologising for my behaviour last time. It was unforgivable and I am truly so very sorry." She finished by bowing her head as if she was about to cry - I nearly laughed out loud.

"I forgive you Felicity." Jonny stared at her admirably. I think he'd lick milk off her feet if she asked him too.

"Okay," Matthew took over slowly, "So by the end of this meeting I really think we should have an idea of what sort of thing we're looking to do."

"Well I've been thinking and I really think maybe we should let bands and singers from the school audition - then decide who to put forward." I suggested. To be completely honest, I'd had this idea since last week but since the abrupt ending to that meeting, I guess now was my first chance to voice it.

"Great idea Jess, positively marvellous." Felicity oozed looking at Danny the entire time.

"If we do that, your band could play," Rachel sighed adoringly at Jack.

"No, we broke up." Jack said over-dramatically.

"What?" Rachel screeched.

"There was a bit of a fall out between the drummer and the bass player and I we are now no more." He looked as if he could burst into tears - over a high school band, seriously?

"I'm so sorry," Rachel said dotingly, "I'm here for you." She comforted while running her hand up Jack's arm.

"Well it looks like it's all sorted then." I said, relieved at how easy that was.

"Well let's think about this," Jonny butted in. "We can't just let anyone play, these auditions have to be fair."

"Well we're never going to get a unanimous decision on anyone." Danny said honestly. "We should just need a majority."