'Oh my gosh it's Tyger Drew Honey!' - Chapter Eighteen

Recap -

"If you had to pick a boy, if you had to." Amy saidWow, she really wasn't letting this go. I wondered if I could make something up. I suddenly noticed how hot I felt - I had to wipe sweat off my forehead.

"If I had to?" My hands felt clammy and my head was spinning.

"Yes if you absolutely had to." I couldn't focus, I felt as if I could pass out at any moment.

"Well I guess," here goes nothing, "there is this boy I sit next to in Maths."

***

What? Why the hell did I just say that? Even if I did like Danny, which I don't, the last person I'm going to tell is Amy. I mean, what possessed me to even utter those words out of my mouth? It was like something inside me just decided to make things complicated. It was probably just because Amy was pressuring me to say someone. And we had just been talking about Danny so he was obviously still on my mind. That's it - he was just on my mind and I needed an easy escape route. I don't like Danny.

"Ooh what's his name?" Amy seemed oblivious to the mental argument I was having with myself.

"I can't tell you that." I said honestly - I don't want to upset Amy in the name of an escape route.

"Come-on Jess, you can tell me anything." She persisted.

"Not this - I," I struggled to think of a reason. "I...I'm bound by law." What the hell?

"What the hell?" Amy echoed my thoughts.

"Yeah it's like one of those injunction things," suddenly ideas for expanding my lie kept coming to me. "Cos he's famous."

"Famous?" Amy looked excited, but sceptical.

"But why would he pull an injunction on you when you're not even going out yet - if he's just some guy you sit next to." Damn, I thought the famous thing was fool-proof.

"The whole school has one - we're not allowed to reveal his identity, that's all." My hands were clamming up again as my state of panic developed.

"That's so cool." Amy looked genuinely satisfied with the answer. "No wonder you fancy him, I bet everyone does if he's famous."

"Amy just because he's famous doesn't mean he's hot." I said shrewdly.

"But is he?"

"Hell yeah." I said while picturing a world in which I went to school with Zac Efron and we flirted in maths. Crap Jess - this isn't real remember.

"I swear - you are just the luckiest girl in the world - your school must be awesome."

"It's quite something." I said, not quite being able to put the true drama of St Peter's into words.

As Amy and I spoke about how cool it was to have a famous person at my school, as well as catching up on general things - my mind kept flicking back to Danny. No matter how I tried to cover it up, he was the first person who came into my head when Amy asked me about boys. Romantic or not, that means something. I thought about that 'F.R.I.E.N.D.S' episode where Ross says Rachel's name during his marriage ceremony to Emily. And although he didn't realise it - it was because he still loved her. While the situation is very different to Danny's and mine - I think me thinking of him means that we shouldn't be in a fight anymore. Eventually one of us was going to have to be the bigger man and resolve things - and I saw no reason why that shouldn't be me.