Chapter 37 - What's the Motive?

The first night, I would say was pretty successful. We made it back home around 3 AM, which was way too early for Monty and Emil's liking. Flex and I were beyond exhausted, especially after our molly experience. Today will be filled with jet ski and yacht party festivities before a steakhouse dinner in the evening and tomorrow we head back to LA to continue whatever business we all have. My business mostly being Chanel. I handle that business very well. 

I sit up in my very comfortable king-sized bed. The softest bed I've probably ever slept in with the highest thread count sheets and comfiest pillows. For a moment, I thought I was still high but maybe the hotel is just that good. My head aches and my stomach feels an interesting type of uneasy but I am too comfortable to walk to the bathroom. Hopefully, the feeling will quickly disappear. Despite my uneasy stomach and my headache, I can't take for granted how different this life is from not just Brownsville but from prison. I've come a long way, the people around me seem to forget now and then. But not Chanel and never Flex. I take a moment to look around the room. I close my eyes and take it all in, my cheeks aching from the biggest smile. 

My phone dings, disrupting my train of thought and after scrambling around the thick bedsheets, I finally see the small black square towards the edge of the bed. I use my foot to inch it toward me. My mind is on Chanel but truthfully, when is it not? 

I unlock the phone to see a name that brings nothing but distaste and anxiety. 

Mila. 

I haven't spoken to her since the fight we had about Flex in the studio. A fight that ended up being the very bitter facts that were spewing out of her mouth. Flex did release the record. He did a rough mix to make it sound better than the actual recording, but he didn't make it perfect. Emil sent him the track, but Flex did the rest. I remember the conversation from last night, and how apologetic they were. I know they didn't do it with intentions of hurt and betrayal. 

Leave it to Mila to disrupt any peace in my life. I've never disliked a woman the way I dislike her. 

I open the text message to a long paragraph. My eyes widen with surprise. 

This is going to be good. 

It reads: 

Good morning Prodigy, 

I wanted to apologize for the way I acted in the studio the other day. To be completely transparent, I felt disrespected. You hate me and you haven't even gotten to know me at all. I know me and Chanel aren't the best of friends, but that doesn't mean you and I need to have a shitty relationship. I'd love to put the past behind us and really market this song. Benzy sent the final mix back and it's really great. Let's shoot some promo when you're available, just a quick video with us together letting people know the song drops next month. You can even bring Chanel. Maybe me and her can talk things out. Start a clean slate? I apologize again for sticking my nose where it doesn't belong. You, Chanel, and your relationship have my full respect. 

I read the message two more times, my brain trying its best to process where this is coming from and if it was really genuine. Is she doing this because she really loves and believes in the song? It's a great song but that just doesn't feel likely. What is the hidden motive? 

I must say, whatever bullshit she's trying to pull, this is a great way to get it done. I did pre-judge her before getting to know her, but I've also seen her true ways. What she said in the studio was out of place and disrespectful. She said it to hurt and manipulate. An apology doesn't change the way her heart is set up. That's something Chanel will see right through. On the other hand, this song will be huge for me. The promo video is a good idea, I need this song to get as much traffic as it possibly can.