Chapter 32 - I miss you, man

"You need to talk to Flex." Chanel breaks the silence of the room. The movie we are watching hums as an important scene plays on, my mind suddenly too clouded to focus. I keep my eyes on the movie and I can feel her eyes staring at the side of my face. She moves up on the couch and folds her legs. 

"Trev." She calls my name as if to pull me out of a trance. 

"Yes, baby." I answer slightly annoyed and over the topic. 

"You need to talk to Fl-" 

"I heard you the first time." I interrupt calmly. 

"Drop the attitude. The only reason i'm bringing it up is because he's marrying Mom soon and you're a part of the wedding party... as am I." She mumbles. 

"I don't know if I want to be a best man, honestly." I answer. 

Chanel is quiet. She lets out a sigh. 

"Okay well can you just talk to him?" She questions. "Then make your decision after that?" Her voice is patient. I look at her and she puckers for a kiss. 

I lean forward and kiss her lightly. 

"Please?" She says against my lips. 

I kiss her again distracted. "Huh?" I answer. 

Chanel giggles. 

"Forreal Trev. Just talk to him." She dismisses. 

I suck my teeth and grab my phone. I reach into my blocked contacts and unblock Flex's number for maybe the 15th time this month. 

I stare at the call button and before I can really think about it, Chanel pushes the call button for me. 

"Ay!" I protest. 

The phone begins to ring. 

"Talk to him." She whispers firmly. 

I take the phone and open the door to the back porch. LA opens up in front of me, the warm air and beautiful sun greeting me, the back porch is surrounded by trees and bushes, it's a little difficult to be mad on beautiful LA days. The phone has rung at least 4 times, maybe he wont answer. I close the door behind me and can hear Chanel increase the volume on the movie. 

Two more rings before I hang up. 

"Hello?" Flex's voice sounds the same. My heart jumps in my chest. I know part of it is excitement to hear his voice, I know part of it is anger at what he did. My head fights back and forth between the two. I force my heart under submission because for a moment it feels like I was speaking to a Father I've missed and haven't seen in a while. 

I don't speak. Too many battles going on within me to find words. 

"Trev, you don't have to talk. Just listen to me." He says. I can hear pain in his words and I can hear the harsh voice he puts on to cover it up. 

"It was my idea to leak the tape, Emil assisted me. I gave him clear directions on how to send everything in so that I could do a rough mix and release it. It was dishonest and it was fucked up but I wouldn't have risked our relationship if I didn't think this was going to be beneficial to you. I knew if I told you about releasing it you would have dismissed the thought. It's vulnerable, its personal, it's painful. I know that and that's what makes me feel so hurt with what I did. And I do apologize for that part. I'm sorry for invading your privacy and releasing something so close to you. BUT.." Flex clears his throat. I sit on the porch bench in the shade and sit my elbows on my knees listening with little to say.