Chapter 2 - Everyone loves Prodigy

Aubrey sits in the seat across from me, her wet hair tied into a pony tail. She smells white and she does white people shit. I didn't know white girls really act like this. It was starting to blow mines. 

"Why you lookin at me like that?" I question slightly annoyed. 

She shrugs and looks me dead in the eyes like I am the best thing that ever happened to her. Her legs are criss-crossed on the tour bus couch by the window and she is wearing an orange crop top and white short shorts, looking like the sun itself. The shit was annoying. Why are white people always so happy? 

"I like seeing you work. I like seeing your brain go." She chirps. 

That was some white shit to say.  

"Aight." I respond after a few moments, then focus my attention back on my laptop screen. 

I spent all of last night writing a new song, only to realize I can't ever release it without Chanel thinking it's about her. And it is about her, but why give her that satisfaction? She won't get it from me. I know she been waiting for it, but she will never get a song directly about her from me. I line up my vocals with the beat and add some reverb and effects to my voice. 

Emil peaks his head through the curtain that separates the rooms on the bus. 

"What?" I say without looking at him. 

"Bro, you typing mad loud. I'm tryna sleep." He complains. 

"Nigga, put your headphones in and hop off real quick, one time." I snap back. I hear him chuckle something bitter. 

I met Emil at a Firebox Records meeting and Flex introduced us. I came to find out that Emil is the Spanish version of myself, except I get more bitches and I'm a lot more talented. Emil wasn't a rapper though. To be honest, I think he hung around the record company so long that they just decided to use him for random shit they might need help with. He used to choreograph shit for Chris Brown and Usher, his specialty is hip hop dance, but since we've met, I haven't seen him choreograph much. He's just some fly Puerto Rican dude with a lot of time on his hands. I told him he could join me on tour if he ain't have nothing better to do and he actually came. 

A part of me is glad he's here, I would probably drive myself crazy if he wasn't. My mind be far away from here. He brings me back to the present and annoys the shit out of me while doing so, but that was my nigga. I say that with clear doubt because if it's one thing the hood taught me, it's to not trust anybody that just pops up in ya life. And Emil and I became close so fast that I don't really know if he rides for me. He hasn't done me wrong in the last couple months, we will see how this goes, I guess. 

"You still writing that song about Ms. Thot." Emil says opening up the curtain  to the backroom. Immediately I feel defensive. Don't talk about her that way. But then the pain comes back and Emil seems right. That's what she was acting like. Emil is shirtless and has on his power ranger draws and socks.

"Nah. And put a shirt on. I'm not ya bitch." I respond."Grown ass man in power ranger draws." I mumble under my breath.  

Aubrey laughs and the very sound of her annoys me. 

"You are working on the songs about her. I told you ma nigga, you gotta chill with all that shit. You wasting time on shit you not even tryna put out." Emil insists, running his fingers through his curly hair that is long overdue for a haircut.

"I just opened the file just now, I wanted to check something." I lied. 

"Yea, Aight Nigga." Emil says walking to the cooler. I hear the cooler lid flip up and smack the back seat of the bus, then seconds later it slams back down.