Chapter 24 - 95 Pound Spawn of Satan

"Nah, where the hook comes in right there, I need you to redo your adlibs for the background. Let me see how the contrast works with her voice." DJ Benzy's voice clicks into my headphones. 

"Aight." I nodd my head understanding. 

"Aight, starting you four bars before you come in." He informs. As he clicks out of my headphones, the music starts four bars ahead like he explained. 

Mila's voice sounds great over the Summer romance beat. I do my adlibs and DJ Benzy plays it back. 

"Fire." He confirms. 

I look out the window of the recording booth that opens into the beautiful dark mahogany walled studio. Chanel stands next to DJ Benzy and leans forward on the sound table. Her eyes are on Benzy's computer screen and she nods occasionally. Though I can't hear what the two are saying out there. It looks as if he's teaching her about laying tracks down. She points to the screen, her mouth moves and DJ Benzy purses his lips and his eyebrows turn down. 

Suddenly, he clicks into my headphones once again. 

"Chanel had a great idea just now. Ima start you 8 bars before you come in, sing the bridge as best as you can. The undertone of your voice, will give the chorus a fuller feel if Chanel knows her stuff. 

Of course she wasn't being taught. My baby was teaching. Out here suggesting things to do to Grammy winning producers. I nod my head and do as told when the beat starts back. 

They both smile and high five. Chanel clicks into my headphones herself. 

"That was great, baby." Her voice is more music to my ear than the music is. 

"Mm." I groan. Suddenly, I didn't want to hear Benzy's voice in my headphones ever again. 

"Take it into the second verse. Let me hear what you got." Benzy orders. His voice takes away all the fluttering that Chanel left in my stomach. 

"Four bars early." Benzy warns. 

"Copy." I mumble. 

I clear my throat and wait for the beat to hit. 

"That summer dress really fitting right ugh

You gettin hotter than them summer nights ugh

Got niggas sweatin you, no wonder why they thirsty

Special like the Queen who was blessed enough to birth me 

N you dont care about the ice

You make your own money, you dont take no ones advice

You goin through some shit, but you always look nice 

Lil mama you the shit dont you ever think twice

Type to make a broke nigga spend on you

Give his last dime, swear on  his last life 

That this is the last time

Chocolate strawberry, big almond brown eyes

Feedin you till you thick, rest my face on em thighs