Chapter 21 : Secrets

I walked out the front door as regular as I could, the phone pressed to my ear. Multiple times I looked back to see if Chanel had followed me out here.

"Hey, Mila. How's it going?" I greeted. The call caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting her to call me directly, I was expecting her people to hit my people. I was hoping that's the way it would happen because something tells me if Chanel knows that I'm even thinking about a collaboration with Mila that she would pop a vein.

"Wow, I'm on the phone with Prodigy. Should I be honored?" She cooed in a soft voice.

I laughed breathy. "You can be whatever you chose, Mila." I said as uncharming as I could.

She giggles on the line.

"So I have a small request. Can you not call me? I'll hit you when I need you. Or maybe your people can send me an email?" I tried hard not to sound like an asshole but it still came out a little harsh.

"Oops are you around Wifey? My bad, wasn't trying to start any problems." Her apology came with a devious energy.

"No problem, so send those emails and-" I attempted to dismiss.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to meet up and start working on this hit. Benzy uses the same studio that I usually record at and-"

"Nooo, no, no. Maybe a separate recording session will do." I responded immediately.

"I kinda just wanted to vibe out the best track we possibly can. You know?" She explained.

"I feel you but my schedule is so booked up, it's gonna take forever for you to catch me off the clock." I scratched at my chin and glanced behind me again.

"Just a bit busy." I trailed off.

"Too bad, I already booked a session Wednesday evening at 5 PM." She laughed easy.

"I don't know if that's going to work." I began.

"Oh relax, Benzy himself will be there." Mila added. I scratched my head in thought. If Benzy was going to be there, I guess there's no reason for me to be this cautious. I sighed and finally responded.  

"Sounds good." I agreed. 

"Email me the address. Take care now." I replied and ended the call before she could say another word. 

I opened back the front door and closed it lightly. Chanel is on the phone upstairs with Trisha and it seems I'm in the clear. I take this moment to switch back to the news and hear the entire story which basically consists of theories on why I was stomped out and legal actions the two of us might be taking. Chanel was right, this media thing is quite draining and everyone has a say on how to handle it and what to say publicly. It was definitely enough to start up an anxiety attack. 

I switch the TV off and grab Chanel's laptop from the dining room table. 

I plump down on the couch, push it open and begin checking emails as Benzy was supposed to be sending the beat to work on. I wondered how Mila was booking studio time when I haven't received the beat yet but there it was, sitting in my email unopened, the subject line read 'Collaboration track 'You make me' Mila London feat. Prodigy.' As excitement ran through me, so did fear. Chanel and I are good. We haven't gotten to be consecutively good in so long. The last thing I wanted to do was tamper with that. I enjoy seeing the look in her eyes when she sees me. The love and excitement. These past days, I've enjoyed being wrapped up in her, enjoyed our quality time and full support of each other. This is the happiest I've been.

Was this collaboration possibly throwing all that away? I know they have beef but does her beef become mine? And do I let that get in the middle of a great opportunity? I don't know when I'll have another chance to be on such an impactful album for the culture, yet alone a DJ Benzy album. This is a certified platinum record and it hasn't even been written. That feeling alone was enough to make me go through with it. I clicked open the file and pressed play. There was a distorted sample of the throwback Usher song "You Make me Wanna", it plays out the chorus and then fast forwards to a more faster and fun beat with a speeded up version of the chorus in the background. The beat is ridiculous. It's so hot that I begin to breathe heavy. I haven't rapped on a beat of this caliber in my entire life. Chanel begins to come down the stairs and I hit pause and close out the window to open another tab.