Chapter 15 - Careful

My palms begin sweating and I lean back in my chair away from the mic. I look to my manager, Monty and he stares at Ray Ray with confusion plastered on his face. Only  few moments pass before Janet barges into the radio room, her black blazer and white collard shirt buttoned all the way up. 

"We aren't answering that." She says firmly. 

I breathe out in relief and look at Emil who's eyes are wide open. Ray Ray nods to Janet and before the moment can get anymore awkward, I sit forward to the mic and give a small laugh. 

"I can't really discuss that but maybe i'll throw it in a song one day, surprise everybody." I answer charmingly. My heart is still beating too fast but I can tell that it's slowing down, I no longer hear the pounding in my ear. 

"Definitely understandable!" Ray Ray says with his animated radio voice. "More to come with Brooklyn's finest- Prodigy! Stay tuned!" He finishes. 

He hits a button and commercials begin playing in my headphones. I take them off and keep them around my neck. Janet is still in the room, she looks like an educated middle aged black woman. The smart ones you don't want to mess with. Her hair up in a sleek bun, make up lightly done, edges laid. She walks her thick thighs over to me and stands behind my chair. I stare at Ray Ray who looks upset. 

"I gave you a list of off-limit questions and you ask the first one? Do you want us to leave? " She questions authoritative. 

Ray ray shrugs and puts his finger to his temple to hold up his head. 

"I was never given any list from your people." Ray Ray says addressing me. 

"I emailed a list to the secretary and gave another one to your Director of-" 

"It was not given to me specifically, I have no list" He says again getting frustrated. 

I feel the tension building and it isn't exactly the right kind of energy that I want to be interviewed in. 

"It's all good, it's okay. Where's the list now? Can we get him the list?" I ask attempting to calm everyone down. 

I wasn't aware of a list, what else was on there? Now I wanted to know. My crew knows everything about me so they must know what would throw me off. 

Ray Ray turns to one of his people standing by a monitor with headphones on. 

"John go see if Suzett has any kind of list i'm suppose to have please." He says. The man leaves and Ray Ray mumbles. 

"Back in 10 seconds." Someone in my headphone says, it is loud and echos to my ear even though my headphones stay around my neck. 

Ray Ray sucks his teeth and pulls his chair up to the mic. 

"Just tell me the list if you remember it, we don't have time." He says to Janet. 

"No questions about jail or Chanel's possible drug problem." Janet says quickly. 

What? 

Drug problem? 

"Alright! We're back with Prodigy- the illest rapper from Brooklyn currently. Everybody knows about 808 by now, it's taking the charts by storm-" 

I zone out as Ray Ray continues because I hadn't heard any stories about my baby having a whole drug problem. I feel my ears get hot. I open my water and take a sip then clear my throat.