Chapter 5 - The Right Poem

"So, I see you're with a white girl now." Chanel  says with distaste but she attempts to add a chuckle so that it seems like a joke, even though I know it isn't. 

"Just a friend." I respond. 

"Hm." She scoffs. 

I almost smile at the hint of jealousy, but I don't even allow myself that pleasure. I can't have a conversation with her without thinking about Bizzy's talk. 

My mind flashes back to the chill greeting at a show I was performing at in the Bronx. I was opening up for Bizzy. Considering he has way more fans than I did, most of the people at the concert came for him. We dabbed it up right before we went on stage and when we came off stage we were tired and just trying to wind down. 

"You real talented, Prod." He had said. 

"Appreciate that." i responded. I heard about the kid just off of his hit record and I never thought there was anything special about him. He was good looking, so I understood why girls liked him but he was too pretty for my liking. He looked like a bitch. Long silky hair, calm eyes with a hint of green, perfect teeth, a dragon tattoo with Chinese writing I'm positive he didn't know the meaning of. But I chilled with him because it was my first time being around another artist with an actual fan base, I thought maybe I could learn something from him. Maybe he will slip up and give me the formula. 

He slipped up, alright. 

"I was just here the other day, at S.O.Bs. And I'm not really from New York but every time I come here, I feel like they treat me like I'm from here. It's just good vibes and perfect energy." He said as he lit the blunt and put it to his lips. 

I popped open a corona and took a gulp. 

"That's dope. My gir-" I began but I caught myself before he caught the word I was about to say. I remember the conversation about keeping everything with Chanel and I on the down low so that I could create my own buzz. 

Bizzy took a slow pull on the blunt. Laid his head back and blew it into the air of the dressing room. 

"That's dope. My friend did a show at S.O.Bs the other day too." I had stated. 

"Word, who ya friend?" He questioned. 

"Chanel." I answered casually. 

I watched as Bizzy blew the smoke into the air again, a new smile glazed across his face. His white teeth exposed. 

"Oh, I did that show with her. She cool peoples." He responded, but the smile didn't leave his face. Something like a smirk, like he was remembering an incident. Anyone else wouldn't have taken it to heart but I read people like it's a God given talent and Bizzy was smiling too hard for too long. 

"You got a big ass smile on, bro. You feelin her?" I laughed starting up the guy talk and drank some more of my beer. The whole time anger building up in me. Anger towards him and then anger towards her. I remember thinking-What did you do Chanel? 

Bizzy scratched his head and laughed. His smile didn't fade. 

"I mean... course I'm feelin her, she's gorgeous."He had shrugged his shoulder. 

"Would you smash?" I questioned, a slick smile on my face. The words felt odd coming out of my mouth in regards to someone I felt so deeply about and had so much respect for. 

Bizzy laughed again and shook his head. I felt my eyes lower into a squint and quickly adjusted them to look normal. Slowly my face was attempting to betray me. I popped another beer open as I had been taking bigger gulps than I thought.