Prime Time News

"Prime Time News"

|01|

Kalíanna

"Would you like anything else?" I shake my head in response, "No, thank you. . . that will be all." I respond with a warm smile on my face, which slowly fades when I hear an awfully familiar voice behind me.

"Mama P, wah yuh can do fimi inna the day yah?" She chuckles placing her hands on either sides of her hips. "Watch yah, yuh neva tell mi seh foreigner deh yah." He takes a seat on a stool not far from where I'm standing.

I roll my eyes at his remark. I had grown used to his antics over the years. Though, I will say that I was equally thrilled as I was repulsed by his presence.

"Yuh know seh yuh give trouble likkle boy?" Mama P laughs as she gives him a warning look.

"She know a likkle joke mi a run man. . .farrin breeze gree wid har tho." A stupid smirk forms on his face. I take the boxes of food placing them into the bag carefully.

"Nuh want mi help yuh?"

I don't give him the response he's waiting for.

TJ and I were hardly on speaking terms before I even moved from this side of town.

I take my leave but not before giving Mama P a hug, "Tek care," she says waving me goodbye. I always come to her cook shop whenever I'm on this side of town, and if I don't? It feels wrong.

If yuh nuh neva taste Mama P cooking, yuh nuh know good food.

Fight me.

When I get in the car I look on my phone to see multiple missed calls from my parents, I turn off my phone ignoring every last one them.

If they knew that I was where, I am now. They'd go ballistic and I don't need that kind of negativity right now.

"Why yuh look suh vex?" My best friend questions from his place in the driver's seat. "Nun," I shrug, playing it cool because I still feel unheard whenever I do voice my worries, no matter to whom or the sincerity of their reaction.

"Serious question?"

I nod giving him the go ahead.

"Yuh nuh plan fi gah yuh yaad?" He takes his eyes off the road to glance at me for a second. "Not today. . .why? Yuh tiaad a mi?" I say playfully trying to lighten the mood.

My friends and I booked a villa for the weekend.

After what happened on Friday morning I decided I wasn't going to stay there. I was just a pawn in my parents' games. I'm sick of it. It's always the audacity that gets me pissed the most.

"Yuh people dem a call off mi phone that's why mi ask." They never liked me hanging out with Javier, it seems they've forgotten where they came from.

We were once in the 'ghetto' as well.

We just got lucky.

But everyday they fall deeper in their glamorous lifestyle built off of the very ghetto youths they seem to shun.