The Meeting

"The Meeting"

|09|

Javier

The odds of me leaving the comfort of my own home when I don't have to are zero to none. Especially not to sit in a meeting, I don't care to attend. There was a different kind of comfort that comes from solitariness. If you asked me, being by yourself is both a pain and a pleasure. Don't take my word for it though. Find out for yourself. For your own sake.

If there is anything I've learnt over the years is mastering detachment.

Humans are temporary.

It's written in the fine print.

We're merely mortals.

Life is a simple transaction but it presents itself with numerous distractions.

That's why you have to be sure of where you're heading, don't be easily mislead.

The sooner you learn that you're alone in life, the better it is for you.

You don't exist with other humans-you exist among them. Treat them accordingly.

My attention is on the slideshow being presented in a boardroom filled with some of the richest men on the island.

I have came to a single conclusion while being here for the past hour. These men didn't acquire their wealth due to their knowledge.

If anything they were anything but intelligent.

They all had two things in common: their greediness and entitled attitude.

None of which amused me.

I listen as the grey hair man tries his best to sell his latest pitch. As the other men in the room eyes light up with excitement when figures appear on screen. As I said, they weren't smart.
They didn't ask any questions nor did they seem to know what was really going on.

That would be their downfall. That's exactly why I had no interest in doing business with any of them.

I look across the table and Mr. Stevenson's gaze catches my own.

We have crossed paths a handful of times. We have never spoken a single word to one another, though I know he's quite aware of me and his daughter's friendship.

What he doesn't know is how much I resent him.

The amount of self-control I'm exercising at the moment to merely sit and watch the man without acting on impulse is undeniably impressive.

"This proposition adds only a 5% increase to my regular revenue on a monthly basis, it's not anything my team has not figured out already. . .I'm hardly interested." I offer looking the man at the front of the room dead in the eye.

The room is silent.

"I'm sure-" He's not able to finish the sentence because I've already began walking out of the room.

I take an already rolled spliff from behind my ear before walking to the area where the front desk and seating area is to take a break from the meeting.

Lexanne won't be happy. But she knows me very well and for that reason, and that reason only she's still my manager.

I take a puff before exhaling the smoke.

The lady at the front desk looks at me with both intrigue and annoyance.

I can't help but notice how much my presence is affecting her. She has crushed atleast five different papers, being forced to start over whatever it is she is writing up continously.

"Sir, you can't smoke in here." She finally speaks.

"Who ask yuh nutn'?" I rasp with a single raised brow.

"You shouldn't even be on this floor if-"

She's cut off by my manager who is here to scold me.

"Mr. Santos," My manager gives me a less than impressed look before walking in my direction. My gaze moves from her to the lady at the front desk who's face falls in realisation.

I guess I didn't look the part.

But I certainly did belong here.

"Mi nuh want hear nutn'," Is all I say to Lexanne. She rolls her eyes at me.

It's a normal occurrence.

I do whatever I want, she does damage control.

"Just mek dem know if dem want work wid mi, dem affi ave more dan dat fi offer," I bring my gaze back to my manger, "But yuh know dat already stillz." I finish, taking a long drag of my spliff.

"You need to come back inside." She states.

"When mi done smoke."

She opens her mouth before closing it again. She was about to say something else to me, but she decides against it. Probably realizing that mi nuh give one fuck.

The meeting has ended and I was standing in the lobby with Lexanne as she gives me the rundown of what took place in the last part of the meeting. I had tuned them out.

Mr. Stevenson walks towards me and I look down at the stout man who has to look up at me.

"Javier?" He questions as if my name sounds foreign leaving his mouth.

I nod courtly acknowledging him.

He offers me his hand and I look at it before turning my attention back to Lexanne.

I catch his brooding expression as he walks away. Clearly put off that I didn't engage him. It was either that or killing him. He should consider himself a lucky man.

Though, I doubt his luck will do much to protect him if he continues to disrespect Kalíanna.

I walk through the doors of the upscale building admiring the sunset.

I get in my car and without wasting anytime I pull out of the parking lot.

The time was now 7:00 pm.

Kalíanna had left work.

I dial her number putting my phone on speaker.

"Mi a fawud, pack a bag." I say not allowing her to say anything. "Weh we ago?" She asks, excitement evident in her tone.

"Beach house." I answer.

My week has been every bit of stressful and I needed to take a break even if it was only for the weekend.

She ends the call without another word and I laugh.