Unfair Games I

"Unfair Games"

|40|

Kalíanna

Part I

My eyes were focused on the glistening water in the distance. I stood on the balcony of my new apartment tuning out the commotion of the movers around me. The nerves were never ending, but this was really mine. I held onto the thin white rail, looking down through the glass beneath my feet. It was a long way down. The surrounding areas were lined with tall palm trees strung with lights added to the scenery.

The whole place was really beautiful. I couldn't have asked for more.

I could see a few persons just loitering around, it helped to know that I wasn't completely alone. Even if they were only strangers.

The sea breeze that was hitting me is just right, although I knew it would probably get cold whenever it rained. But even then, it would still be perfect.

The image of the rain hitting the floor to ceiling windows and the water droplets that would go racing down filled my mind.

I didn't mind rain, as long as I was inside snuggled in my bed.

The surrealism of the moment settles in all at once.

How could something so small, mean so much? It was funny really. But it wasn't something that many would understand unless they were in my shoes.

It was a bitter-sweet moment for me. For the most part it was sweet, though.

It was just the sinking realization that I am actually a young adult, I was now legally of the age to care for myself. I thought there would be more to it, honestly.

But I guess when you have been doing it all for so long you forget to enjoy the moments and sometimes they pass you by.

I grew up too fast

Given my absentee parents and all. I already have had tons of practice on how to care for myself.

I would always be there for myself, but having someone who cared felt a whole lot better.

Being in my own space wasn't a bad thing, I tried convincing myself. This was what I always wanted. I finally had room for growth. Sometimes all we needed was a change of environment, right? That's exactly what I needed.

I won't mind the freedom that comes with it either, definitely won't miss hearing this is my house and under my roof-blah, blah, blah. Bullshit.

Too young and turnt fi all a dat, a small smile finally crept onto my lips.

I turn around walking back into the living room that is very spacious, boxes lined every corner, stacked on eachother.

Getting everything unboxed was the next tedious task. The movers filtered in and out periodically putting down boxes and bringing in furniture.

"Aye yuh can tell them to take their time with the smaller boxes, please? Mi nuh want anything break." Some a dem just ave box dem a drop, drop like a hot bread. Jesus. Mi know them a try work fast but dem nuh affi deh beat up eh sumn' dem.