Police

"Police"

|02|

Kalíanna

"It's just a simple question. Yah behave like Chronic Law a yuh fada." He doesn't respond. I couldn't help but ask even though I knew how defensive he was when it came to things regarding his line of work. This culture of always being paranoid has to stop.

As far as I knew, he was involved in lottery scamming. Whatever laid in the backseat had nothing to with that. Javier is extremely secretive even with me, someone who he is extremely close with.

I guess your background really impacts how you behave as an individual in society.

"Fuck," I watch as he checks the rear view mirror before hissing his teeth a second time.

"Wah happen?" I ask, feigning concern.

When I glance behind us, I spot a police car trailing us with flashing blue lights.

"If yah drive like a you name need for speed wah yuh expect? Yuh feel a fast and furious this?"

He ignores my comment. He reaches over, opens the glove compartment, and drops his gun on my lap, all while maneuvering the steering wheel. "Yuh nuh ave an off button?" He asks in an annoyed manner.

If a never one ting mi use eh gun lick him.

"Wah mi fi do wid dis?" I ask with equal annoyance.

"Nyam it, Kalíanna. . .nuh must fi hide eh sumn." He hisses his teeth, glancing at me every now and then expectantly. I sigh before tucking it into the back of my shorts. I lean back to conceal the weapon.

"Yuh must deh pay mi fi dis." I say, folding my arms beneath my breasts.

"Yuh can chat suh?" He finally pulls over the car and the police car behind us follows suit. "Dem nah go search yuh suh relax." He reassures rolling down his window.

The police man stands at the window with his hand positioned on his gun. "Good night," I respond politely to his greeting. "Good night, officer. What seems to be the problem tonight?" Javier asks, staring down the police officer.

Mi wonder if him know seh mi wouldn't bail him tonight?

"Is there a reason for you going twice the speed limit?" The police officer asks.

He doesn't respond.

"Can you please step out of the vehicle?" Javier complies and the officer gives him a thorough pat down.

"Are you transporting anything? Are there any illegal substances inside the vehicle?" The police man attempts to shine his flashlight through the back window but the rays fail to penetrate the dark tint. "Can you open this door for me?" He then asks.

Javier shakes his head.

"Mi nuh see nuh reason fi dat, write up the speeding ticket and mek mi gwan." I give Javier a warning look to which he laughs. He finds this funny? He hands the police officer the necessary documents before re-entering the car.

"Are you related to this young man?" I nod courtly in response.

"Have a good rest of your night." Javier laughs as he pulls off. "Same to you, Sir."