Prologue

Devon Reeves.

"I have nothing to offer you."

Those are the first words she says to me when we first meet. And it's true; she indeed has nothing to offer me. At age twenty-seven, Jessica Franklin is a high school dropout, having never been to the four walls of college and being buried under a mountain of debt.

Yet, she is one of the many women who have filled out the form of me searching for a wife online. She shows up on our blind date in a borrowed dress, which she claims she needs to return before midnight, and she keeps glancing at her broken watch to see how much time has passed.

I glance at her tired eyes, pale face, and unruly hair, my lips stretching into a smile. There is something in those weary eyes of hers that intrigues me in ways no other woman has, wanting me to know more about her.

"You don't need to offer me anything. I just need you to be my wife."

Little do we know, this will be the start of a long journey to forever.

Jessica Franklin.

I should not be doing this. I should never agree to this, I say to myself as I sit across the table, watching the man I'm about to sell my body and soul to for the next six months. "As if you have anything to give," a voice taunts me. But I have to.

I have two sisters depending on me, and I would be damned if anything happened to them thanks to the decisions I made in the past without being sure that they'll be able to stand on their own two feet if I'm no longer there. So I lean forward on the table, regarding the immaculately dressed man before me with careful eyes. His lips stretch to a smile, and his eyes glint with curiosity. I begin to speak, my voice as calm as the ocean, a sharp contrast to the storm raging in my head.

"So, when do we begin?"