Chapter 32

Sitting in my office, hands on my chin, I can't stop my thoughts from wandering

Sitting in my office, hands on my chin, I can't stop my thoughts from wandering. The last two days have been hell. Somehow, Jessica has gone from coming out of her shell to completely closing herself off, and I don't know what's wrong. I've tried asking, but it doesn't seem to get anywhere with her.

"Not like she would tell me anyway," I mutter to myself, a mirthless laugh escaping my lips. I can't help but think about the night before. Emma coming to wake me up, tears streaming down her face as she relays the news to me.

"Jessie is screaming," she cries, pointing up the stairs. "I've tried to wake her up, but she's not budging. I don't know what else to do!"

The panic surging through me as I rush up the stairs, despite my calm expression. I find her twisting on the bed, eyes closed, body sweating, and tears streaming out of her eyes. She is in agony. I try to wake her up, but every time I touch her, she won't stop muttering, her body wound tight."Please," she whispers, her voice laden with pain. Her body remains wound tight, as if begging for release from an invisible torment. It's a gut-wrenching sight, a stark reminder of her profound pain. Only for her to wake up and push everyone away.

Now I can't even stand to look at her. I close the laptop in front of me, letting out a groan. This is all so frustrating.

A knock interrupts me, and I give permission for the person to enter. It turns out to be my assistant.

"Someone is here to see you," she announces.

"Who is it?" I ask, picking up a discarded document from my table. She hesitates, fiddling with her fingers. I raise an eyebrow at her.

"It's Evelyn Parker," she finally replies, her voice quiet.

Evelyn? What is she doing here? Didn't she listen to my warning to stay away? "Let her in," I mutter, and my assistant bows before exiting the office.

Moments later, Evelyn enters, her gaze fixed on me. "Hey, Devon," she greets, her voice cheerful.

"What are you doing here?" I immediately ask, getting straight to the point.

"Don't be so rash. I just wanted to see you," she responds, her voice dripping with a deceptive sweetness as she gracefully settles into a nearby chair, her smile radiating an air of mystery.

"Well, I don't. So if you have nothing to say, you can leave."

"You're in a bad mood, aren't you?" she asks, and I clench my fists together, already irritated. "Is it because of your wife?"

That makes me pause, and I narrow my gaze at her. "Your point?" I mutter.

"Nothing. It's just that she has a big secret that she's hiding from you," she adds nonchalantly, checking out her fingernails, her eyes glinting with mischief.

"Tell me something I don't know. Why are you here, Evelyn? To talk trash about my wife?" I snap at her, ready to kick her out.

Her demeanor switches almost instantly. "I'm here specifically about your wife. She isn't who you think she is!"