Chapter 18

"W-what did you just call me?" Evelyn asks in a strangled voice, her eyes widening

"W-what did you just call me?" Evelyn asks in a strangled voice, her eyes widening. I let out a breath, placing my glass on the table. Leaning forward, I smile at her again.

"I called you a bitch. Isn't that what you are?" I say calmly and watch as she flushes. Her blue eyes glowered with rage and she wouldn't stop shaking. Although I admit, she was beautiful with her blonde hair cascading down her shoulders and the deep plunge gown she chose to wear, which revealed her cleavage, the reason why she was doing this made my stomach twist with hatred.

She flares but quickly catches herself, sucking in a breath. Blinking rapidly, she glares at me again. "You're just trying to rile me up. But that won't work." She says and she gives me a sardonic smile. I let out a fake gasp at that.

"Oh, you caught me. That was my plan all along." I mutter. "What were we discussing? Oh yeah, that I  was the woman Devon settled for? Of course, I am, who else did you see with him?"

That hits a nerve and she stiffens. "Act all you want but I know the relationship you have with him is fake, he did this so he wouldn't have to talk to me. But that will change soon. You'll have to get off your high horse eventually." She snaps back through gritted teeth, her tone biting. I shrug it off, feeling bored.

"And how are you planning on winning him back? Going through his mother? You see that didn't work. You would have had better chances if you didn't involve her." Not once do my eyes leave hers, catching all the micro-expressions she keeps making.

"That was a mistake. She was the one who reached out to me. It won't happen again." She murmurs, embarrassment coating her features.

"Of course, it won't. You'll make sure of that." I say, swirling the glass of champagne in my hands.

Her gaze turns serious as she speaks the next words. "Devon is mine. We have a history together." She states but I don't pay attention. I'm busy checking out my nails that shone in the light. They look pretty.

"I know. He told me about that history. And then you left him for someone you assumed was better." Leaning forward, I tilt my head to the side as I addressed her. "What made you change your mind? His money or your foolishness?"

She opens her mouth to speak but soon snaps it shut, lost for words. "What about you? Why are you even here with him? You don't even deserve him!"

"Neither do you," I say and she freezes. "How do you even plan on winning him back? Cozying up to him? Kissing him... Or better still trying to bed him in hopes that he'll get back to you?" Each of my words makes her pale further and soon her eyes her shimmering with tears. It gives me immense satisfaction seeing her like this. My smile drops and I let the most terrifying expression I can muster get to the surface.

"Gone is the naive, co-dependent Devon that you once knew. The one you'd push around and lie to in the name of love. You try that bullshit with the Devon I know and love and you would not like the consequences. And that's not adding what I'll do to you myself if you come close to him."