Chapter 4

This is a joke, right?

I ask myself as I stare at the message, I couldn't possibly be picked. I'm about to dismiss the message when another one comes in. Startled, I click on it.

Dear applicant,
We hope this E-mail finds you well. We've read through your application and have decided that you would be a perfect fit for the job. If you're interested, please reply.

Stunned doesn't even begin to cover what I'm feeling right now. Despite my better judgment, I start to reply.

I'm interested.

I click on send. After a few agonizing moments of waiting, another mail comes up again. With a bated breath, I check it out.

In that case, we would have to meet physically. Which day would be most suitable?

I almost type that today is fine but I don't want to come off as desperate. I take a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart.

Wednesday will be perfect.

Send.

Very well. we would be having our date then. We would be sending you the details later on. I look forward to seeing you, Miss Franklin. Thanks for applying.

You're welcome. I reply. Just like that, the conversation ends. I stare at my phone, my head strangely blank. Falling back to the bed, I let out a groan.

What have I gotten myself into?
.
.
.
Sleep eludes me the entire night as I think about my current predicament. I had gone to check the post immediately after only to find out it had been taken down. What's worse, I can't seem to figure out who it was in the first place. As a result, my brain automatically goes to a worst-case scenario. What if he's a kidnapper? Or trafficker? Or even worse, a serial killer who enjoys collecting the body parts of the women he killed?

That would be such a wonderful way to go. The voice in my head sneers. I grimace, trying to push such disturbing thoughts away from my head. I finally fall asleep during the wee hours of the money only to be woken up by my alarm clock. Bleary from lack of sleep, I trudge out of my bed. I'm sure the dark circles under my eyes have gotten worse. Since there's only one bathroom in the apartment, I shower and start to prepare for work.

Once I finish dressing up, I head to the kitchen and after combing through the fridge for something to eat, I manage to find a box of oats and some fruits from yesterday. I start to make breakfast. Emma comes out of her room then, still groggy from sleep.

"Good morning." She mutters, yawning. "You're up early."

I glance at her, giving her a tight smile. It's because I didn't sleep at all. "That's because I slept early. I'm making oatmeal, you should have your bath and come eat."

"Oh, let's eat together! I'll be quick.." she starts to say, clapping her hands.

I check my watch. It's rather early so I still have time. "Hurry."