Chapter 41

The next morning, the news of Evelyn Parker's death spreads through every media outlet

The next morning, the news of Evelyn Parker's death spreads through every media outlet. I stand there, completely shocked, as the reporter shares the incident, suggesting that she committed suicide. It's puzzling, why would Evelyn want to take her own life?

Devon is right there beside me, wearing a similar look of surprise. "Evelyn's dead. That's unexpected," he murmurs, deep in thought.

I take a shaky breath and turn to face him. "Do you... Maybe," I start slowly, cutting myself off. "Have anything to do with it?" I ask, my voice betraying my fear.

Before I can finish my question, Devon shakes his head, his eyes reflecting his sincerity. "No, not at all. I only threatened her, that's all. But I'll conduct my own investigation, something feels off." He mutters, echoing my concerns.

"I thought it was just me." I whisper, swallowing. Devon gently grasps my hands for support.

"Don't worry too much. I'll get to the bottom of this. I promise," he reassures me, and I nod, taking a deep breath as I trust his words. Glancing back at the television one last time, I look away and focus on the task at hand, doing my best to push this distressing news to the back of my mind.

Days later, the news is still circulating, and it seems like nothing has changed. People believe Evelyn took her own life, but I don't think that's what happened. Despite my doubts, Devon reluctantly invites me to an anniversary party for one of his companies, and I agree to go, hoping to reassure him.

That evening, I take a long, hot shower before sitting in front of the glistening mirror with delicate golden edges. I carefully apply lotion and makeup, then put on the sparkling cream dress I laid out earlier on my neatly made bed. The dress sparkles in the soft room lighting as I slip it on, accentuating my curves and making me feel graceful. My mind drifts as I dress up, thinking about Devon's investigation. He hasn't found anything yet, he told me when I asked. I hope whatever he discovers will ease the fear in my heart since I heard about Evelyn's death.

After styling my hair and applying perfume, I grab my bag and leave my room, closing the door behind me. Devon waits for me downstairs, engaged in a conversation with Emma. As I descend the stairs, Devon stops mid-sentence, his eyes widening as he sees me. I blush, trying not to hide my hair shyly. Emma compliments me when I approach, but my focus is on Devon, who seems at a loss for words.

"You look absolutely breathtaking," he whispers, leaning in to kiss my lips. I smile, feeling some of my anxiety fade away.

"Thanks," I whisper back, holding onto my bag tightly. Emma grins beside us. "We'll be leaving now. Take care of yourself," I tell her, kissing her forehead before being led out by Devon. We step into the car, exchange greetings with the driver, and soon, the car pulls out of the house and into the streets.

The ride is quiet, and I find myself lost in thought as I gaze out the window. Suddenly, Devon grabs my hands, and I look at him. His face appears neutral, but his reassuring squeeze puts me at ease. I smile back at him, leaning my head on his shoulder, taking in his comforting scent and warmth. The car soon arrives at the venue for the anniversary party. Devon helps me out of the car, and the valet swiftly takes it away as we make our way inside.

As we enter, people immediately recognize us, and we are soon surrounded by guests and important figures. We exchange pleasantries, and Devon has his arms protectively around my waist, drawing me close to him. I lean into his embrace, wearing a warm smile as we walk together.

Suddenly, a strange feeling overcomes me, and the hairs on my neck stand up. I sense an uncanny stare directed at me, causing me to tense up. I look around, trying to figure out who it might be, but I can't spot anyone staring at me in that way. The feeling persists, leaving me with a sense of unease.

Devon notices my unease and looks at me with concern. "Are you alright?" he asks once we're alone, guiding us to our seats. I force a smile up at him.

"Yes, I'm fine," I say, trying to downplay my nerves. "Just a little startled." He nods understandingly, and we sit down together. Taking a deep breath, I attempt to calm my fraying nerves and focus on the event. Everything remains calm for a while until it's time for Devon to give his speech.

He gives me a quick kiss on the palm, stands up, and confidently walks towards the podium, while I watch him go. But then, I feel it again, an unsettling sensation even more intense than before. Goosebumps spread across my skin, and I resist the urge to look around. Clenching my hands together, I try to appear calm and composed, even though my heart is racing, and my breaths are shallow. My mind is restless, unable to concentrate on what's happening in front of me.

Unable to bear it any longer, I excuse myself and discreetly make my way to the ladies' room. Once inside, I close the door and take in ragged breaths, trying to calm down. "Get yourself together, Jessica. No one is here to hurt you. It's all in your head," I repeat to myself, hoping to regain control. Slowly, I start to calm down, managing to steady my breathing and thoughts. After adjusting my clothing and freshening up, I head back out to rejoin the event.

As I try to return to the hall, my eyes land on Devon across the room, deeply engaged in conversation with a group of people. I raise my hand to wave at him, wanting to signal my arrival, but suddenly, my arms are tightly gripped, stopping me in my tracks. A shiver runs down my spine as I turn my head to see who it is.

In the dim lighting, his face is partially hidden, but I recognize him instantly. My heart sinks, and all the color drains from my face. He leans in, his breath sending a chilling sensation down my neck. His voice, a haunting whisper, fills me with dread as he says, "Found you." Without another word, he vanishes into the crowd, leaving me paralyzed.

My heart pounds in my chest, and all the color drains from my face. It's a voice I recognize all too well. One that causes all the blood in my body to freeze and for me to stay rooted to a spot.

What just happened?

****
Thanks for reading!!!
Let me know your thoughts and see you in the next chapter!