Chapter 53

Playlist.
What Lovers Do by Maroon 5 ft SZA
Stay by Zedd ft Alessia Cara
Enjoy reading

I'm roused from my sleep by a gentle tap on my shoulder. Blinking against the bright lights filtering through the window shades of the private jet, I turn my gaze to the source of the disturbance. There he stands, a warm smile on his face, his eyes glowing with warmth and excitement. I sit up, stretching as I stare at him, my eyes asking the questions.

"You should wake up. We're almost landing," he announces, and I pause slightly, glancing at him.

"Really?" I mutter, immediately going to open the window shades, my eyes going wide with excitement. Though we've been traveling on air for over twenty hours, stopping sometimes across different countries, we are finally at the 'mystery location' since Devon won't tell us where we are headed.

As the plane nears the tarmac, the pilot makes an announcement, and I put on my seatbelt, my heart racing as we encounter some slight turbulence. The jet finally slows to a stop, and a soft breath escapes my lips. Devon helps me out of my seat.

Holding his outstretched hand, I slide out of my seat, feeling a mixture of excitement and fatigue. If the long flight had been tiring, the anticipation of the journey ahead has energized me. The plane attendant helps us with the small travel bag that I brought along, and I walk out of the jet with Devon, hand in hand.

The moment I step out onto the private jet aisle, the warm air of the new country welcomes me as I disembark from the plane. The scent of salt and sea tickles my senses, and I inhale deeply, letting the tropical breeze envelop me. I turn to Devon, a question forming on my lips.

"Where are we?" I ask, looking around, my eyes taking in the unfamiliar surroundings.

"Mauritius," he answers, his grip on my hand tightening as he turns to look at me.

"Mauritius?" I repeat, looking around once more. That's so far away. He chuckles, pecking my hair as he leads me to the car that is already parked and waiting for us.

After exchanging greetings with the driver, he assists us with our belongings and we enter the car, which already has our luggage placed in the trunk. The driver takes his seat, and we start our journey into the city of Mauritius. As we drive through the streets, I gaze out the window and immediately feel overwhelmed by the vibrant colors, exotic scents, and the sounds of an unfamiliar yet intriguing language. Even though it appears to be evening, the streets are bustling with life and people, and the pace of life here seems much slower.

Devon does his best to point out important landmarks as we pass them, though his knowledge of the area is limited. He promises to give me a proper tour of the country once we're settled in, pointing out places we can explore, and my excitement only grows.

After what seems like an eternity, we finally arrive at the beachside resort where we'll spend our honeymoon. The staff welcomes us with genuine smiles, instantly putting me at ease. They guide us to a private suite, and as I step inside, I'm left in awe.

The suite offers a magnificent view of the beach. The sky is adorned with beautiful colors as the sun sets, creating a magical view. The interior of the room is just as enchanting, with romantic elements already prepared before our arrival. The bed is adorned with rose petals, and candles are strategically placed around the room, casting a warm and romantic glow. Outside on the porch, there's an inviting hot tub. I'm so amazed by what I see that I forget to speak. I'm speechless and want to take a picture to remember this moment forever.

"Do you like it?" Devon's voice breaks through, and I'm surprised to find him so close. Our eyes lock, and with a nod, answering him while a blush permanently graces my cheeks.

"Like? I love this." I whisper, feeling my heart swell with emotion.

"I'm glad," he murmurs, his hands leaving his pockets to pull me into a gentle kiss. Pausing briefly, his lips linger against mine, and I find myself lost in his eyes. His hand cups my cheek, and he presses a soft kiss to my forehead, sending shivers down my spine.

"I'd like to use the bathroom first. Could you please order dinner?" He requests, and I nod. He gives me a small smile before turning to locate the bathroom, disappearing inside. Taking a deep breath, I touch my flushed cheeks and quickly reach for the landline.

When someone answers, I place an order for dinner to be delivered. Upon their confirmation, I end the call and sink onto the bed, the rose petals brushing against my face. A brief moment of blessed silence surrounds me, but before I can lose myself in my thoughts, the doorbell rings. I rise to my feet, heading towards the door. As I open it, the attendant greets me, and he wheels in the food, filling the air with delightful aromas as he uncovers the dishes. My mouth waters at the scents, and I'msuddenly reminded of how hungry I am and I can't wait to dig in.

Devon steps out of the bathroom just as the attendant leaves, his body still damp and a towel wrapped around his waist. His muscled chest glistens with water, a reminder of how much of a man Devon is. My throat goes dry at the sight, and I find myself staring at him, my fingers itching to touch him. He's as gorgeous as ever. Pausing briefly to put on his glasses, he glances at me.

"Is the food here already?" he asks, and I nod.

"Yeah," I reply, walking over to meet him.

"Are you hungry though? 'Cause I'm starving."

I chuckle slightly at his words, glancing at the trays of food. "I was kind of waiting for you to say that. I'm famished," I mutter back, hoping he thinks I'm talking about the food.

"One moment, please," he mutters, quickly putting on a shirt from the wardrobe - something they've probably prepared as well. After dishing out the meal, we both take our seats across from each other, engaging in conversation as we eat. The Mauritian cuisine is a treasure trove of delicious treats, each burst of flavor more surprising than the last. We've enjoyed a variety of dishes, the names of which I'm unfamiliar with, but they are undoubtedly far more exciting than the bland, chronically healthy foods I was used to eating due to Emma's condition. I particularly love the dumplings filled with meat and the equally delicious broth that accompanies them. I make a mental note to learn the recipe later on. Devon still insists my cooking is better, drawing giggles from me.

In no time, we've devoured our meals and are finishing up with glasses of fruit wine. Raising our glasses in a little toast, we take slow sips of the liquor as we relish the view through the windows. I make sure not to drink too much; I don't want this night to pass by quickly. Once Devon's attention isn't so fixed on me anymore, I take it as a signal to excuse myself before things become awkward.

"I'd like to use the bathroom," I inform him as he occupies himself with his phone. He glances at me over his glasses, his honeyed eyes studying me before giving me a slight nod, indicating that I'm free to go.

Holding my breath, I rise to my feet, picking up a wrapped parcel from the travel bag we brought, and then I walk into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. Placing the parcel on the table, I release a sigh and look at my reflection in the mirror, my heart pounding in my chest. I notice a flush on my face and bite back a groan. Do I always blush this hard?

"It's your first night as a real, official couple," my mind whispers, and I let out a huff, running a hand through my hair. I've never felt this nervous and excited all at once. "It doesn't have to happen, you know," the voice says again, but I roll my eyes.

It's going to happen. And if it doesn't, I'm going to make it happen.

****
A bit of Author's note:
Due to the craziness of the past few days, I have been unable to do any writing and this has negatively impacted the quality of my work hence, the delay in uploading this chapter.
This chapter isn't my best work yet but it's better than nothing. Hopefully things go back to normal soon and I can go back to updating frequently.
Thanks for waiting and I'm sorry for the delay.
As always, don't hesitate to drop a comment or thoughts if you enjoyed this chapter!
You guys already know what's coming next!...
See you in the next chapter!