Chapter 14

Fortunately, Emma didn't get worse

Fortunately, Emma didn't get worse. Seeing her hale and hearty after a day's rest fills me with relief. The only downside would be that her diet would be stricter. That, I can handle. I make a mental note to visit the hospital to have her checked and get her medications. Very early the next morning, I make her vegetable smoothie and watch as she eats, a content feeling spreading in my chest. It's all I've ever wanted.

Footsteps approach and before long, Devon appears in the kitchen, all dressed up and ready for work."Good morning, my sister's husband." Emma greets him, her voice cheerful as always. He stiffens at first but shrugs and replies. "Good morning to you, my wife's sister."

Emma chuckles at his reply and continues with her meal and he lets out a wry smile. His gaze turns to me and I stiffen, My heart skipping a beat as I stare back at him. Unbiddenly, I remember how I treated him the night before and a pang of guilt hits me.

"Good morning." He greets me, with no trace of animosity in his voice. The grip on my coffee cup tightens as I reply.

"Good morning," I say and he nods. Walking into the kitchen, he turns on the coffee maker and glances back at Emma.

"Your sister said you weren't feeling well. Are you alright now?" He asks. Emma looks up from her bowl, her brows furrowed.

"Yeah, it was just a mild flare-up. Nothing serious." She mutters, her voice muffled.

"Flare-up?" He repeats.

"Yeah, I get them from them to time. I have  stomach ulcers. I do have medicines that help manage the symptoms though, so I'm fine." She explains to him, giving herself a thumbs up. He nods in understanding.

"Glad to hear it's not serious. But don't hesitate to speak if you feel seriously ill."

I won't." Emma replies, finishing her smoothie. She stands up from her seat with her empty bowl and dumps it into the sink. "Thanks for the meal," Emma says as she kisses me, a small smile on her face before skipping out of the house with her earphones plugged in and her driver not far behind her. I watched her leave before turning into Devon.

He had already made himself a cup of coffee, adding cream into it and ice cubes. I watch him stir it, before taking a sip and having a pleased look on his face.

"I want to talk to you," I announce and he stops, staring at me. I take a deep breath and continue anyway. "I'm sorry for snapping at you earlier, I wasn't in a good mood. That was rude of me. Please, forgive me."

A flicker of surprise crosses his face but he blinks and it's gone. "It's okay. I may have pushed you too hard."  He replies as he takes another sip of his coffee. "Your apology is accepted."

"Thanks," I mutter and he grins. A funky feeling begins at the bottom of my stomach, seeing his smile.

"By the way, I would like to talk to you later today. Would that be possible?" He says, distracting me from my thoughts