Chapter 31

Playlist

Playlist.
Don't blame me by Taylor Swift.

2 years ago.

The room is dark and I'm on my knees, heart in my throat. Still, I try not to let it show as I wait for him. After what seems like forever. the door creaks open, and he enters, a sinister silhouette shrouded in darkness. My heart skips several beats and goosebumps break out of my skin.

Approaching me with predatory grace, he grasps a fistful of my hair, wrenching my head back sharply. Suppressing the instinct to cry out, I bite my lips hard enough to draw blood, desperate to stifle any indication of the fear that pulsates within me. His gaze falls to the collar he has placed on my neck and I feel it darken.

"You're not a submissive, are you?" His voice, eerily calm, slices through the silence like a sharpened blade. My fingers dig into my trembling thighs, seeking solace in the pain as I muster a feeble reply.

"But I've been doing everything you told me to."

"On your own terms." He bites back, his anger increasing by the minute. I look away, but even I know my stubbornness is not helping anything at the moment.

"You know I can see that little defiance in your eyes everytime I give an order and you refuse to do it." He whispers and I feel cold seep deep into my skin. He lets out a chuckle. "I'm going to break that tonight. Until you fully submit to me." He growls.

Letting go of my hair, I watch him take a whip from his 'little toy collection' and my heart drops to the ground. the weight of unspoken words "please" hangs in the air, a plea I would rather die than utter to him.

"I'm going to shatter you, piece by agonizing piece, Marie," he murmurs, the whip slicing through the air with a menacing whistle. "Until you learn to beg." He adds, his words freezing me in place, a living statue paralyzed by the impending nightmare coming to face me.

That night marked for me, my descent into a living hell.
.
.
.
Rough hands shake me awake, and voices filter into my ears. Slowly, I open my eyes, drenched in sweat, to find Devon's frantic gaze locked with mine. Stunned, I stare at him, trying to make sense of his presence in my room. Emma stands beside the bed, tears streaming down her face.

"You're awake! Thank goodness," he mutters, releasing his grip on me.

Confusion clouds my thoughts as I struggle to gather my bearings. "What's going on? Why are you in my room?" I ask, feeling disoriented. "And why is Devon here?"

"You were having a nightmare. You wouldn't stop screaming," Emma explains, her voice trembling with sobs. "Are you okay?"

I attempt to sit up, reassuring them, "I'm fine. Just a bad dream. You should rest. Go back to your room." My words are met with exchanged glances between Emma and Devon, but she remains by my side.