Chapter 37

Playlist

Playlist.
Lips On You by Maroon 5
Enjoy reading!

Devon comes home early, just as he promised, with a smile on his face and a gift for Emma, who is visibly surprised and incredibly pleased.

"Sorry for scaring you last night. It won't happen again," he says as he stretches out the wrapped parcel to her. "Am I forgiven?" He asks.

Emma collects it from him, squealing in her seat as she holds it. "Yes, you are," she says, placing it on the table. "Good to have you back, my sister's husband," she tells him, stretching her hand out for a shake. He accepts it, nodding solemnly.

"Likewise, my wife's sister." They break into a laugh afterward, and Emma stands to her feet.

"Dinner is ready. Would you like to join us?" Emma asks.

"Sure, let me have a quick change of clothes, and I'll be back up," he tells her. Turning towards me, he sends me a wink before walking out of the living area. A soft flush stains my cheeks at the act, even as I try to act calm and collected.

Moments later, Devon comes back up, and we settle for dinner. After a quick prayer, we dig into the meal in front of us. As always, it's lively with Devon and Emma jumping from one conversation to another, and occasionally, I'd join in. A gentle smile graces my lips at the exchange, my heart feeling light. I can't believe I was so scared of losing this. I'm glad it didn't happen.

After dinner ends and Emma disappears to her room, Devon offers to help me clear up the dishes, and I accept. Together, we clean up the table, with me storing the leftovers and him washing the dishes. Once I'm done, I join him, and we do it together.

"Dinner was delicious as usual. Thank you for the meal," he tells me, passing me a washed plate.

"You're welcome," I reply, and he smiles, returning back to his work. We continue in silence for a while before I slow to a stop, staring at him. He notices after a while and glances at me, stiffening slightly.

"Is something wrong? There are tears in your eyes," he asks, his voice filled with concern as he walks closer to me.

"I don't know, I guess I'm just happy..." I croak, my voice thick with emotions. "Happy that you're still here. Happy that this hasn't ended." I let out a teary chuckle at that. "Sorry for getting sentimental on you, didn't mean to. I never cry; I don't know what's wrong with me."

"It's okay. I won't leave. Ever." He reassures me, grabbing my shoulders for emphasis. The action only makes me want to cry more. Why didn't I meet him earlier? "I'm not going anywhere. Okay?" He tells me, and I nod. Pleased with my reaction, he cleans off the soap from his hands. "Here, let me get that for you," he says, wiping away the tears that had run down my cheeks with his sleeves. "There, all good," he announces, satisfied. But he doesn't leave immediately.

My gaze wanders to his lips, and I swallow, my heart pounding. He notices my hesitation, and just as I catch myself inching closer to him, he leans in and kisses me anyway. I close my eyes, savoring the moment, feeling the warmth of his body pressed against mine.