Chapter 29

The weekdays slowly fly by and before long, another weekend is upon us

The weekdays slowly fly by and before long, another weekend is upon us. As usual, I expect a normal boring Saturday of me just lazing around but all of that is about to change. We have just finished breakfast and I go back to my room for a quick change of clothes. When I return back to the living area, I meet Devon and Emma in an intense conversation. They quickly break off when they see me descend the stairs, both trying to wear a neutral look on their faces.

I slow down on my steps, eyeing both of them warily. "What's going on?"

Emma exchanges glances with Devon before rushing to meet me, a suppressed grin on her face.

Devon and I are just discussing," she says when she reaches my side. I cast a long look at Devon, who starts taking his coffee, putting on a big show of scrolling through his phone. "Actually, I wanted to ask you something," she says, interrupting me.

"What is it?"

"So, there's this new amusement park that opens a while back, and all my classmates have been there, saying great things about it. I've been wondering, can I go? You'll come with me, of course," Emma finishes.

I watch her, trying to figure out if what she's saying is true. When I feel she's sincere, I respond, "I mean, why not? You can go."

"No, you're coming with me. Devon offered to take us there." She says. I cross my arms at her.

"Is that what you were discussing?" I ask.

"Pretty much, yes."

I glance at Devon, who shrugs and mouths, "I was dragged into this."

"Okay, I'll come too. But if you're going, you have to take your own snacks." I tell her and she immediately runs to the kitchen. "Already planned that. I even have my own drinks!" she yells.

For a brief moment, concern crosses my mind. "What about your studies?"

"Come on, Jessie, one day of not studying isn't going to kill me."

"But why is Devon taking us? Doesn't he have a driver?"

"He offered, and Mr. Martin, his driver, isn't feeling well. He asked for a day off."

I quietly concede but why does it still feel like there's foul play somewhere? Giving up, I let out a sigh. "Okay, I'll have a quick change of clothes and be right down." I tell her.

"Awesome! We'll be waiting!" Emma calls out as I retreat to my room. I pick out an outfit suitable for the day, considering the changeable weather. Though it's sunny, the wind can grow chilly. Once I'm dressed, I join Devon and Emma, who are engrossed in conversation. Lately, they've been acting like siblings, which feels both familiar and strange. Devon notices me approaching, pausing briefly to meet my gaze.

We hold each other's gaze for a while, and a blush creeps onto my cheeks as I feel his eyes sweep over me. Emma clears her throat beside us, effectively breaking the spell, and we finally leave the house. The journey to the park is quiet, with occasional humming from Emma as she sings along to the music playing on the radio.