Chapter 43

Playlist

Playlist.
Tragic by Tommee Profitt ft Fleurie
Hurricane by Tommee Profitt ft Fleurie
I'll be Your Hero by Tommee Profitt ft Stanaj.
Enjoy reading!!

The next day arrives, and I put on my usual act of pretending everything's fine. I watch with a forced smile as Emma and Devon head off to work, completely unaware of what's really going on inside me. They exchange goodbyes and leave happily, but beneath my outward cheerfulness, a deep unease lingers that I can't shake off. As soon as the door closes behind them and they disappear from view, my façade crumbles, revealing a bone-chilling fear that coats my face. I'm left alone with my thoughts, my heart racing and a shiver running down my spine. It's just me now, facing the relentless grip of fear that refuses to let go.

With trembling hands, I pick up my phone, staring at the message that has haunted me all morning. Letting out a shaky breath, I read it once more, tears stinging the corners of my eyes which I quickly blink back, pressing my lips together in a tight line.

"Good morning, Marie. Or should I say, Jessica?" The message reads, and a fierce flash of anger courses through me. Before long, I'm clicking on the number from which the message came and dialing it. Pacing around the living room, I run my hands through my hair, and with bated breath, I wait for whoever is on the other end to pick up.

They do, and the voice I dread hearing filters through. I let out an unconscious shudder as I listen to him speak.

"Hello Marie, didn't expect you to call so quickly," he mutters, his voice sounding amused. My grip on the phone tightens, and I grit out through clenched teeth, my voice low and gently trembling. I hope he doesn't notice that.

"What do you want?" I whisper, trying my best to keep my voice stern even as I feel sweat dripping down my back, my heart pounding wildly in my chest, and my head throbbing.

"Just wanted to give you a little surprise. Don't you like it? You should be happy. It took me a long time to find you. I must admit, you did a good job of keeping yourself hidden," he says, his voice carrying a sinister edge as he chuckles softly.

"Cut the crap, Zachary. Why are you doing this? What do you want from me?" I grit out, my frustration evident.

"What do I want? Now that's the question, isn't it? Let's just say, I want you, Jessica. I've missed you so much," he mutters, his voice dripping with a sly, unsettling charm.

"Well, I'm no longer yours. So leave me alone!" I almost yell, my voice quivering with a mixture of fear and anger.

"Oh Jessica, you don't understand, do you? I just can't leave you alone. We have unfinished business, do we not? Don't you think you need to pay for what you did to me?"

"You deserve it," I spit out, feeling disgust and malice crawl up my spine. "Which reminds me, are you the one behind Evelyn's death?"

"Well, what do you think?" He asks, his words leaving room for me to fill in the blanks. My eyes widen in horror as realization hits me.