Chapter 3

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 3 - The Pollywog

"I still don't get why they call him zombie boy." Max says as she, Lucas, Rudy, and Gemma walk down the hall to Mr. Clarke's, the next morning.

"I mean, I get it. He got lost in the woods for a week or something, but why is he a zombie? Because everyone thought he was dead?" Max asks.

"Did he actually die and come back to life?" Gemma jokes, chuckling.

She stops when she sees the serious look Lucas' face and she turns to look at Rudy who sighs and nods.

"Wait, really?!" Gemma asks, her eyes widening and Rudy nods again.

"Yeah. I mean, we had a funeral for him and everything." Lucas says.

"After a week?" Max asks.

"Well, see, some other kid drowned at the quarry. We thought it was Will because his body was super decomposed." Lucas says.

"Really?!" Gemma asks.

"Yeah." Lucas says.

"Wow." Gemma says.

"Ok, that's not funny." Max says, stopping in her tracks, making Lucas, Rudy, and Gemma stop as well.

"It's not a joke, alright? It's public knowledge." Lucas says.

"It's true. Everyone in Hawkins knows." Rudy says.

"Yeah, you can ask anybody. Except Will, because he's really sensitive about it. Alright?" Lucas asks.

"Ok." Max says, nodding.

"I would be sensitive too if I died and came back to life. Extremely sensitive." Gemma says, following Max, Lucas, and Rudy in the classroom.

****

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time." Mr. Clarke says to his students, standing in front of a projector.

"Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head." Mr. Clarke says, drawing a black line diagonally across the picture of the skull.

"I wonder if it was a quick death...or if he suffered for hours until he died." Gemma wonders out loud, as she reads her book.

Rudy turns around and smiles at her before turning back around.

"No, Gemma, he didn't die. He actually miraculously survived. He seemed fine and physically, yes, he was. But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality. So much so that his friends that knew him, started referring to him as 'No Longer Gage'." Mr. Clarke says.

"Wow." Gemma says, completely fascinated as she turns the page.

Just then, Dustin bursts into the classroom, making everyone look at him.