Chapter 18

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 18 - Moving Day

Three months later

The Byers family and El are moving away to California.

Gemma is in El's room, helping her pack up the rest of her stuff.

Gemma closes up the two boxes and looks up and sees El trying to use her powers to get the teddy bear from the top shelf in the closet.

Her powers are still not working and after she catches her breath, she sighs, frustrated.

Gemma gets up and is about to go over to her when she sees Mike entering the room.

"They'll come back. I know they will." Mike says.

He grabs the teddy bear for El and hands it to her.

"Thanks." El says, hugging it to her chest.

As Mike and El continue to talk, Gemma picks up the two boxes and heads out the room, giving them some privacy.

****

Several minutes later, everyone's outside, having a tearful goodbye.

After hugging El, Will, and Joyce goodbye, Gemma goes over to Lucas and Max who are holding each other.

She, Max, Lucas, Dustin, and Nancy watch Joyce and El climb into the U-Haul truck and Jonathan and Will driving after them.

After the two vehicles are out of sight, they hop onto their bikes and head their separate ways.

****

After the stepsisters enter their house, Max heads to Billy's room and Gemma heads to hers.

After plopping onto her bed, Gemma sighs, sadly before looking over to the side.

The picture of her and Rudy on their picnic date is leaning against a framed picture.

That picture is from the Snowball, with her kissing a smiling Rudy on the cheek.

Gemma stares at them, sadly for a moment before reaching over and grabbing them.

She hops out of bed and throws both pictures into her trash can.

She looks over and sees her stuffed Captain Hook doll laying next to her pillow and she grabs it and throws it away as well.

After throwing everything that Rudy ever bought and made for her away, she sighs and heads out her room to check on Max.

After looking into Max's room and seeing she's not in there, she goes over to Billy's.

She looks inside and sees Max sitting on the bed, crying.

Tears stream down Gemma's face and she walks off, not wanting to go into her brother's room.

After reentering her room and shutting her door behind her, she plops onto her bed and cries harder.

Gemma shifts onto her stomach and buries her face into her pillow, still crying and continues to do so until she falls asleep.

****

Meanwhile, in Kamchatka, Russia, two prison guards are looking for a prisoner to execute.

One of the guards is about to open one of the cells but the other guard stops him.

"No. Not the Americans." The second guard says in Russian.

The first guard nods before walking off and the second guard follows him.