Chapter 13

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 13 - The Sauna Test

After El brushes her teeth, she joins the stepsisters in Max's room.

"Which one?" Max asks, holding up a couple comic books.

"I don't know." El says, squeezing in between her and a zoned out Gemma.

She sighs as she slumps down.

"Hey, there's nothing to worry about anymore, ok?" Max asks.

"It doesn't make sense." El says.

"What doesn't make sense?" Max asks.

"Heather. The blood. The ice." El says.

"Heather had a fever, so she took a cold bath, but she's better now. That has to be it. I don't know where that blood came from but, we saw her. All three of us saw her. She's totally fine." Max says.

"What about Billy?" El asks.

As soon as El said her brother's name, Gemma snapped out of her worried thoughts about him and turns to her.

"What about him?" Max asks.

"He seemed wrong." El says and Gemma nods in agreement.

"Wrong is kind of like his default. But it's nice to know he's not a murderer, because that would've totally sucked." Max jokes.

"He may not be a murderer but something definitely is wrong with him." Gemma says.

Max and El look at her and notice her hands are shaking, violently.

"Hey, hey, hey. Gem, it's ok." Max says, reaching over El and grabbing her hands.

Gemma's hands continue to shake and Max squeezes them, gently.

"It's ok. Billy is ok. Ok? Repeat after me...nothing is wrong with Billy." Max says.

"Nothing is wrong with Billy." Gemma says, dryly.

"Say it like you mean it. Nothing is wrong with Billy." Max says.

"Nothing is wrong with Billy." Gemma says.

"Nothing is wrong with Billy." Max says.

"Nothing is wrong with Billy." Gemma says.

Her hands stop shaking and Max sighs a breath of relief before giving them another gentle squeeze.

The stepsisters drop each other's hands and Gemma lets out a shaky breath as she leans back against the bed.

The trio fall silent when El looks down at Max's Wonder Woman comic book.

"Who...is that?" El asks, still looking at the comic.