Chapter 11

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 11 - The Mall Rats

The next morning, Dustin and Rudy head to Scoops Ahoy together.

After Robin hands a couple their ice cream, the young boys walk up to the counter.

"Hi." Dustin says.

"Hi." Robin says.

"I'm Dustin." Dustin says.

"I'm Robin." Robin says.

"Pleasure to meet you. Uh, is he here?" Dustin asks.

"Is who here?" Robin asks.

"Steve and yeah, he is." Rudy says.

Just then, Steve bursts out of the break room, making the door slam into the wall.

"Henderson." Steve says.

Dustin laughs, excitedly.

"Henderson! He's back! He's back!" Steve says.

"I'm back! You got the job!" Dustin says.

"I got the job!" Steve says before imitating trumpet noises.

Rudy steps back and awkwardly watches his brother and best friend imitating lightsaber gestures before laughing hysterically.

"How many children are you friends with?" Robin asks, making Steve sigh, annoyed.

"I'm a little offended you're more excited to see my friend than seeing your own brother." Rudy says, crossing his arms and Steve sighs.

"I see you everyday, Rudy." Steve says.

A few moments later, the Harrington brothers are seated at a booth with Dustin who excitedly tells the older Harrington about Suzie.

"No, no. No way. Hotter than Phoebe Cates? No." Steve says, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Phoebe Cates' not hot." Rudy says.

"Yes, she is. You just have no taste." Steve says.

"I have taste. I'm dating Gem." Rudy says, a huge smile spreading across his face.

Steve audibly snorts before turning back to Dustin.

"She's brilliant too. And she doesn't care that my real pearls are still coming in. She said kissing is better without teeth." Dustin says.

The Harrington brothers share a weird look.

"Wow. Yeah, that's great. Proud of you, man. That's kinda romantic. That's like...wow." Steve says.

"Wow is right." Rudy says before laughing awkwardly.

"So do you really just get to eat as much of this as you want?" Dustin asks, gesturing to all the ice cream at the table.