Chapter 23

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 23 - The Nina Project

Hopper and Rudy are back at the prison, getting beat up by the guards.

"Enough! They are not yours to kill. Fools." The warden says in Russian.

He goes over to them and crouches down.

"What did I tell you, Americans? No run. You two don't listen. Now there is going to be much pain. Much." The warden says in English.

"Go to hell, asshole." Rudy says in Russian before spitting at him.

The warden wipes it off his face before looking at the guards and nodding at them to continue.

Rudy and Hopper are barely conscious as they get dragged out the room.

They get dragged by the battle pit, up the stairs, and into the cell with the other prisoners that tried to escape.

They both groan in pain as they slowly get up.

"It could be worse, Americans. At least you more company than each other." Dmitri says.

Hopper and Rudy look at him in shock as they get up the rest of the way.

"Your eyes don't deceive you. I'm a prisoner now. Like you two. Yuri, the smuggler, he betrayed me. Betrayed us." Dmitri says.

Hopper punches him before slamming him against the wall.

"The pig's in trouble now." A prisoner says in Russian.

"You said we could trust him! You swore to us!" Hopper yells.

"Because I believed we could. You think this is what I planned? I have lost everything! Everything! The three of us knew the risks. The three of us." Dmitri says.

"Do us all a favor. Finish him!" A prisoner says in Russian.

"We gambled today, and we lost. We lost." Dmitri says.

Hopper loosens his grip on Dmitri and Rudy shakes his head, angrily before pulling Hopper off and grabbing Dmitri.

"No! I told you he would betray us! I told you he would fuck us over! If you had found someone trustworthy, we would be on our way back right now! Today's my girlfriend's birthday! Her birthday! I would've been her best gift! But no, you fucking ruined it!" Rudy yells.

He punches him before throwing him to the ground.

The other prisoners cheer.

Rudy gets on top of him and punches him repeatedly.

"Rudy!" Hopper says.

"This is the last face you're gonna see." Rudy says as he continues to punch Dmitri.

"Rudy! That's enough! I said, that's enough!" Hopper says as he pulls him off.