Chapter 19

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 19 - The Hellfire Club

Gemma follows Max out the school bus, listening to Fade to Black by Metallica.

"Max! Gem!" The school counselor, Ms. Kelley calls out.

The stepsisters turn around and lower their headphones as they walk over to her.

"Where were you two yesterday?" Ms. Kelley asks.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry, I forgot it was Thursday." Max says.

"I didn't forget. I just wasn't in the mood to come." Gemma says.

"Well, I like to see you both today. Come straight after lunch, ok? Hopefully you'll be in the mood by then, Gem." Ms. Kelley says.

"I won't be but I'll come so you can shut up about it." Gemma says.

She and Max put their headphones back on and heads to the gym and Ms. Kelley watches them, concerned before going back to greeting the other students.

When the stepsisters enter the gym, they climb up the bleachers over to Mike and Dustin who are talking about whose girlfriend is better than whose.

When the marching band stop playing and the cheerleaders stop performing their routine, Gemma pauses her Walkman and lowers her headphones.

"And let's hear it for your Tigers!" The principal says into the microphone.

The student body cheers as the basketball team, one of the players being Lucas, jogs into the gym.

"Good morning, Hawkins High!" Jason Carver, the team captain, says into the microphone.

The student body continues to cheer loudly.

"First off, I'd like to thank each and every one of you. Without your support, we wouldn't be here. Give yourselves a big hand." Jason says.

The student body cheers again.

"And of course, I have to give a special shout out to the best and the prettiest fans of all time, the Tiger Cheer Squad." Jason says, gesturing towards them.

The student body claps and cheers for them.

"Chrissy." Jason says.

Chrissy raises an eyebrow and smiles at him.

"Chrissy, I love you, babe." Jason says.

Chrissy blows him a kiss and the student body goes 'aww.'

Jason smiles at her for a moment before taking a couple steps back.

"You know...I think I can speak for all of us when I say it's been a tough year for Hawkins. So much loss. And sometimes I wonder 'How much loss can one community take?'. In dark days like this, we need something to believe in. So last night, when we were down by ten points at half to Christian Academy, I looked at my team, and I said 'Think of Jack. Think of Melissa. Think of Heather. Think of Billy." Jason says.