Chapter 21

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 21 - The Monster and the Superhero

The next morning, on the way to get groceries for Eddie, Gemma asked to make a stop at the pharmacy.

Steve pulls into the parking lot and Gemma exits the car and heads into the store, listening to Fade to Black.

She heads to the family planning aisle and after grabbing a pregnancy test, she heads to the checkout line.

When she walks up to the counter, she sets the pregnancy test down and the clerk gives her a judgmental look.

Gemma rolls her eyes at her before taking out a handful of change and handing it to her.

The clerk continues to give Gemma a judgmental look for a moment before ringing it up.

When she's done, she gives Gemma the pregnancy test and Gemma gives her the stink eye as she walks off.

She heads to the bathroom and after shutting the stall door behind her, she sighs before lowering her headphones and following the instructions.

Minutes later, Gemma lets out a shaky breath before grabbing the pregnancy test from the metal disposable box.

Two pink lines.

She's pregnant.

"Holy shit." Gemma says.

She stares at it for a moment before throwing it away and getting up.

"You're pregnant, aren't ya?" The clerk asks loudly as a crying Gemma heads to the front door.

The line of customers gasps and Gemma freezes.

She slowly turns to the customers and the clerk who are all looking at her, judgmentally.

"Fuck off. It's not your business." Gemma says, her voice cracking as she storms out.

When she enters Steve's car, everyone turns to her.

"Are you ok, Gemma?" Steve asks.

"I'm ok." Gemma says, dryly.

"Are you sure?" Robin asks.

"You've been gone for awhile." Dustin says.

"Stop it! I'm ok! Can we just go and get Eddie's snacks and shit?!" Gemma yells.

Steve, Robin, and Dustin look at her, taken aback before sharing a look.

"Yeah." Steve says quietly before turning around.

"Sorry." Robin and Dustin simultaneously says.

As they pull out the parking lot, Gemma looks at Max who's looking at her, knowingly.

Max grabs her hand and smiles, reassuringly.