Chapter 15

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 15 - E Pluribus Unum

"The gate." Steve, Dustin, and Rudy simultaneously says, sharing looks of horror.

"I don't understand. You've seen this before?" Robin asks as she and Erica follow the trio down the stairs.

"Not exactly." The Harrington brothers simultaneously says.

"Then what, exactly?" Robin asks.

"All you need to know is it's bad." Dustin says.

"It's really bad." Steve says.

"Like, really bad." Rudy says.

"Like, end of the human race as we know it kind of bad." Dustin says.

"And you three know about this, how?" Robin asks.

"Don't worry about it, Robin. We just need to get out of here before it's too late." Rudy says.

"Um, Steve? Where's your Russian friend?" Erica asks when she sees he's no longer on the ground.

Steve looks down at the ground when the red lights start flashing and the alarm goes off.

"Shit." Steve says before running over to the small window on the door.

He widens his eyes when he sees a group of Russians soldiers running towards them.

"Shit!" Steve says and he gestures the others to go back up the stairs.

When Steve swings the door open to the lab, the Russians scientists turn around and give him and the others a confused look.

The group run off until they get trapped by the laser beam that's slowly opening the gate.

Steve looks around when he sees a small staircase.

"This way!" Steve says to the others and they run after him.

Steve knocks the crates over to delay the Russians and he gestures the others to keep going.

They finally make it into a room and Steve quickly shuts the door.

Dustin, Erica, and Rudy climb up the stairs and the young Harrington feels his heart beating a mile a minute when he sees he has to climb through the air duct to escape.

"Shit....shit!" Rudy says as Erica hops into the air duct and crawls through it.

"It's ok, Rudy. You got this." Dustin says, patting his shoulder, encouragingly.

After Rudy controlled his breathing, he takes a deep breath.

"One...two...three. Shit!" Rudy says before hopping into the air duct and crawling through it.