Chapter 14

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 14 - The Flayed

The quintet continues to scream as the elevator drops.

"We're going down! We're going down!" Steve yells.

"Yeah, no shit, Harrington!" Robin yells.

"Why won't these buttons work?!" Dustin yells as he continues to press them.

"Push the button!" Erica and Rudy simultaneously yell as they go over to them.

"What do you guys think I'm doing?!" Dustin yells.

"You're not trying hard enough!" Rudy yells.

"Come on, press something! Just press the button!" Steve yells.

"Push it!" Erica yells.

The elevator finally comes to a halt, making everyone fall over.

"My groin. It fell on my groin. Rudy! Dustin! Get this off of me!" Steve yells.

The young boys go over to Steve and after Dustin lifts the box up, Rudy helps him up.

"Is everyone ok?" Robin asks, clutching her head.

"Yeah, I'm great, now that I know that Russians can't design elevators!" Steve yells, pushing Dustin out the way and going over to the control panel.

"I think we've clearly established that those buttons don't work." Robin says.

"They're buttons. They have to do something." Steve says.

"Yeah, if we had a keycard." Robin says.

"A what?" Steve asks.

"It's an electronic lock. Same as the loading dock door. If we don't have a keycard, it won't operate, meaning..." Robin trails off.

"We're stuck in here." Dustin says.

"Yeah." Robin says.

"Jesus Christ. Jesus fucking Christ! Shit!" Rudy says, burying his face into his hands.

"Just so you nerds are aware, I'm supposed to be spending the night at Tina's, and Tina always covers for me. But if I'm not home for Uncle Jack's party tomorrow and my mom finds out you four are responsible, she's gonna hunt you down, one by one, and slit your throat." Erica says.

"I don't care about Tina! Or Uncle Jack's party! Your mom's not gonna be able to find us if we're dead in a Russian elevator!" Steve snaps.

"Hey. What if we climbed out?" Dustin asks, pointing at the ceiling.

He and the Harrington brothers climb to the top of the elevator shaft and when they look up, they see that they are a long way down.