Chapter 9

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 9 - The Snowball

One month later

"Since the release of the incendiary tape, the quiet town of Hawkins, Indiana, has spent time in a place it never expected...the national spotlight. Under mounting pressure, several high ranking members from the U.S. Department of Energy have admitted involvement in the death and cover up of Hawkins resident, Barbara Holland, who died due to exposure to a chemical asphyxiant, which had leaked from the grounds of the lab. We sent our own April Kline to Hawkins to speak to the residents, residents who told us they thought they lived in a safe town..." The news reporter says.

"I'm glad all this shit is over." Rudy says, going back to his birthday cake.

"Me too, Rudy." Steve says, patting his shoulder as he exits the kitchen.

Rudy eats the rest of the cake slice and after he throws his paper plate away, he heads upstairs.

After taking a shower and changing for the day, he heads downstairs.

"Come on, Steve, let's go!" Rudy yells as he zips up his leather jacket.

A few moments later, Steve heads downstairs and he and Rudy head out.

****

The Harrington brothers head to the flower shop and Rudy climbs out the car and heads inside.

He looks around the store when he finally sees a bouquet of snapdragons.

He smiles as he takes them and heads to the front counter.

He heads back to the car, still smiling, and Steve smiles as well, as he watches him buckle his seatbelt.

"Alright, let's go." Rudy says and Steve nods before driving off.

****

When they arrive to the Hargrove- Mayfield house, Rudy lets out a shaky breath as he climbs out the car again.

When he reaches the front door, he hides the flowers behind his back and knocks on the door.

Gemma opens the door and she smiles when she sees him.

"Hello birthday boy." Gemma says, making him smile.

"Hi Gem. How are you doing?" Rudy asks.

"Good! I'm excited for tonight!" Gemma says.

"I am too. And I got you something." Rudy says.

"You did? What is it?" Gemma asks.

"Close your eyes." Rudy says.

"Ok." Gemma says before doing so.

"And hold out your hand in a grabbing position." Rudy says and Gemma does what she's told.