Chapter 28

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 28 - The Beginning of the End

Two days later

In Max's room, Gemma's sitting next to Lucas, listening to him read The Talisman to Max.

"He opened his eyes, and further words died in his throat. He forgot about the need to sick up that horrible parody of wine. He forgot about his mother, and Uncle Morgan, and his father, and almost everything else. Speedy was gone. The graceful arcs of the roller coaster against the sky were gone. He could feel the hair stirring on the nape of his neck, could feel a goofed up grin pulling at the corners of his mouth. 'Speedy! I'm here, my God! I'm here in the territories!" Lucas reads.

He looks up from the book at Max before sharing a sad look with Gemma.

Just then, the door opens and Mike, Will, and El enter the room with Nancy and Jonathan trailing behind.

"Oh my God. We've been calling you guys like crazy." Lucas says, going over to his best friends.

"I know. We came as soon as we heard." Mike says as he and Will pull him into a hug.

Erica hands Gemma her crutch, and when she finally makes it over to her best friends, Will pulls her into the group hug.

When Lucas and Gemma pull away from Mike and Will, El goes over to them and pulls them into a hug.

"I'm sorry." El says, softly.

After the trio pulls apart, El touches Gemma's stomach and gives her a small smile.

Gemma smiles back and El pulls her into another hug.

After the two girls pull apart, El goes over to Max's bedside and Gemma, Lucas, Mike, and Will follow her.

"Do they know...when she'll wake?" El asks, turning to Lucas and Gemma.

"No." Lucas and Gemma simultaneously says.

"They say she might not. Her heart stopped for over a minute. She died. I...I mean clinically, but...then she came back. The doctors don't know how. They say it's a miracle." Lucas adds.

While he stares at Max, obliviously, Mike, Will, and Gemma look at El, knowingly.

Gemma gently nudges El, making her turn to her.

"Thank you." Gemma mouths.

El gives her a sad smile and a 'you're welcome' nod before walking closer to Max.

She sits down on the foot of the bed and gently grabs Max's fingers.

"I'm here, Max." El says.

She stares at her for a moment before closing her eyes.

****

Several minutes later, El, Mike, and Will get ready to leave with Jonathan and Nancy and Gemma decides to go with them.