Chapter 17

Gemma, My Gem

Chapter 17 - The Battle of Starcourt

El continues to scream and cry as the thing moves around in her leg.

"What is that?" Erica asks.

"There's something in there." Mike says, stating the obvious.

"We know. We all have eyes." Rudy says.

"Jesus Christ." Dustin says.

"Keep her talking. Keep her awake, ok?" Jonathan asks.

After he gets up, he runs to a nearby restaurant to get some supplies.

"Hey, hey, hey. Stay awake, stay awake. Let's get her on the side, on this side." Mike says.

"Easy, easy, easy." Steve says as he, Nancy, Dustin, and Gemma help Mike move El over.

"It's, uh, you know it's not actually that bad. There was a...the goalie on my soccer team, Beth Wildfire. This other girl slid into her leg, and the whole bone came out of her knee, six inches or something, it was insane." Robin rambles.

"Robin." Steve says.

"Yeah?" Robin asks.

"You're not helping." Steve says.

"I'm sorry." Robin says.

"You're so sweet for trying to make El feel better though." Gemma says as she checks her out.

Jonathan runs back to the group and slides next to El.

"Ok. Alright, El? This is gonna hurt like hell, ok?" Jonathan asks.

"Ok." El sobs.

"Need you to stay real still. Here, you're gonna want to bite down on this, ok?" Jonathan says, handing Mike the wooden spoon and he places it into El's mouth.

"Jesus Christ." Dustin says.

Jonathan is about to cut El's leg open with a knife but hesitates, unsure if he should do it.

"Do it." Mike says.

"Ok." Jonathan says.

When he starts to cut El's leg, she screams out in pain before whimpering.

Jonathan sets the knife down and he takes a deep breath before sticking his hand into El's leg.

As El screams again, Gemma cries as she hovers her hand over Erica's eyes.

"Jonathan!" Nancy yells.

"Stop talking!" Jonathan says.

He continues to fish around for the thing but El can't take it anymore.

"Stop it! Stop! Stop!" El yells, spitting the wooden spoon out.

She cries again as she starts to sit up.