Chapter 2

Eleven months ago

"I told you I am not cooking dinner today." Sitara exclaimed with her hands folded on her chest.

"Tara, what kind of behavior is this?" Zahra scolded her."Oh c'mon Mom, I cook every day, so what if Nargis cooks one day. I am not getting up from my favorite Bollywood movie. " After ages Dilwale Dhulaniya Lejaenge was getting telecasted on TV and she was sure as hell she ain't getting up from middle of her movie. She just loves Shahrukh Khan too much and always prayed that the man she got married loves her just like Raj loved Simran in the movie. She let out a sigh, looking with dreamy eyes on the screen.

"What childish behavior is this? You have watched this movie a hundred times. It's not like the story is going to change. You know the dialogs by heart. Nargis already cooks breakfast and lunch everyday, you just do one thing that too you are not doing. Yesterday you didn't cook saying it's your birthday and today this excuse. This is not good, Tara." her Mom came and snatched the remote from her hand.

"Ammy, let it be." Here comes her bestie for rescue. "I will cook it. She was waiting for a week for this. What's the difference anyway. It's just one day" she said coaxing her mother-in law "See problem solved" Sitara exclaimed in happiness taking back the remote and hugged Nargis sideways "I love you bhabhi" she said and they laughed. She only called her bhabhi when she desperately needed a favor from her.

"What's all this noise?" Came her brother's voice breaking their chitter-chatter as he entered the house after his shift at the job, and Nargis went to bring him water. "Bhaijaan, have you brought my colors?" Came Ruksaar from her room hearing his voice. "Yes, I did. Here, you can do your projects, now, " he said, pinching her cheeks, and their ten year old sister ran, taking the box of poster colors.

A thunder stroke in the sky, making Ruksaar scream and fell in surprise with her colors and making them laugh at her. Zahra scolded them. "Stop making fun of my little princess," she said, settling her in her lap. They all laughed as Ruksaar teased them, making a face since they got scolded.

It seems like yesterday that Ruksaar came to their home. She was the girl Sitara's parents adopted as their housekeeper passed away giving her birth. Ruksaar's grandmother was working with Sitara's family since Sitara was little. Then, her daughter took her place as their housekeeper but was a victim of the cruel fate. She was married to a man who wanted a boy child and after giving births to two daughters, when she was pregnant with Ruksaar, her husband got his hands on some illegal ways to get the doctor do the gender test. Knowing it's another daughter, he left his wife and the unborn child. Zahra and Omer took her in and adopted Ruksaar as their own daughter. Since then, she has been a part of their family.

"Looks like it's going to rain heavy tonight." Rihan said, gazing at the cloudy weather.

"Ah! Again this God awful movie" Rihan said rolling his eyes "Bhai, don't you say one word against this movie" Sitara scolded him "Let her watch Rihan," said Nargis giving him water and he kissed her forehead like every day after he comes from his office.

He got this job in place of their father after they lost him four years ago in a road accident. That was the worst day of their lives. Few college students broke the traffic signal, and their whole lives turned upside down. They lost their father and their mother, and she lost herself. The sadness engulfed her so much that she gave up her will to live. She didn't cry for three days, and the day she cried, she cried too much. She had a nervous breakdown and lost the strength in her legs. She couldn't walk, and doctors said that due to immense sadness, her whole body has gone into shock. Her willpower to recover was zero. She had given up, she didn't want to live, but they didn't give up hope. Rihan consulted lots of doctors, and finally, after three years of her being on wheelchair a neurosurgeon who was a visiting faculty in the city hospital agreed for her treatment. But the surgery cost twenty lacs. Sitara lost all her hopes, but Rihan assured her that he would take a loan from his organization for her treatment. He became the backbone of the family. He is only four years older than Sitara, still he took care of the family just like their father. He never wanted to be a government employee. He had his dreams. He was a tech-head and wanted to start his own tech company. But seeing his family into shreds, he picked up the job and selflessly given his dreams to keep his family afloat. So that his little sisters don't have to worry about studies, so that their mother can see a future. He tries his best to never let them feel that their father is not here. The only thing he didn't let go of was Nargis. He loved her, and he ensured that his love was not lost in this awful time. Nargis, too, stood by him in every decision, giving him and his family unconditional love.