Chapter 4

Flashback contd.

Nargis sat Sitara down in the couch where he was sitting. Though there was a lot of distance between them and Sitara ensured that she was practically sitting at the edge yet it looked like he is so close to her. She held Nargis' hand too tightly before she could move. So she stayed next to her.

All this time she kept her concentration on floor yet Sitara can feel his eyes on her.

Rihan was sitting in front of her next to Zahra. The snacks and sweets were set up on the wooden center table. Why? Sitara mentally rolled her eyes looking at the dry fruits and sweets served.

Her eyes wavered to another man sitting next to him on another sofa. He wasn't wearing a uniform like the ones last night instead he was wearing a similar attire like him just his kurta was of mustard color. He looks of his age. He wasn't saying anything. She could see the gun on the table. She removed her eyes from him hastily looking at the gun. For the first time there was a gun in their house, Allah what is going to happen she prayed mentally for the peace of her family.

A smirk came to Shahzain as he noticed the increased breathing of Sitara on seeing his partner's gun. How will she bear with him, he thought getting all swooned over her innocence.

"Faizan" he said to his partner and nodded for him to take the gun. "Yeah I-I should keep this away" he said with a hesitant laugh and kept the gun back with him.

"I-I am sorry, Khan Saheb for what I did, I will try to pay off your money in a month. We have figured out a way, we will sell our house, or you can take it as a payment. The valuation of the house is more than the money I owe you" Rihan pleaded a way out of this situation.

"You don't need to pay me back now Rihan." Shahzain's voice made Sitara's grip tightened around Nargis' hand. She knew what he meant, now that he is taking her ofcourse he would let go of her brother's debt.

"Jane dijiye Bhaijaan...bacchi hai abhi" (let her go brother, she is too young) Sitara's eyes got moist on hearing her brother's plea to him. She can feel the helplessness. She was angry at him for not fighting up with this man and she was sad that she is selfish enough to want him to risk everyone's life to save her.

"Bacchi hai, aur aapki hai," (she is a child and she is yours) Shahzain replied to him but addressed to Zahra instead, catching everyone's attention.

"That's why I came to ask you. I know it wasn't civilized what I did yesterday and you are our elders and I respect you. So here I am to correct what I did wrong. I would like your permission to marry your daughter when she is of age" he requested Zahra for the hand of the girl he loves. Something which is so unlikely of him that even he is surprised that he is doing this. The man who has the habit of just taking what he wants, no questions asked, is actually waiting, requesting, hoping for someone's permission.

While he waited in anticipation, Sitara's heart sank on listening the word marry.

Though she felt Nargis letting out a breath of relief. Why is she relieved, she was the one who was telling how wrong this is? Sitara thought internally. Maybe she is relived thinking that he is marrying you and not taking you for a night because she was worried what if when he will get bored of you, maybe now she knows what he meant and she too thinks its okay. Your future won't be tainted because you will be his wife and not a prostitute. Her inner conscience replied to her boggling mind. But was it a really a relief to be a wife to someone like him? Not that there is any way out. She knows no one will ask her and no one here has the courage to say no to him.

"Will you give me permission Ammyjaan?" Shahzain asked for the hand of his star and she looked at her brother who had his hands on his forehead, for some assurance. But she didn't get any. His nervousness was fairly visible in his foot that was shaking continuously tapping the floral carpet with his shoe. Zahra was quite too. She was sitting there so helpless knowing there is only one right answer.